State Police

I would be interested to know the views on hand held vs the flare gun. If you are fishing territory waters and drift into canada get caught with the flare gun what type of trouble would you be in.

they may take your boat and possession? Talk about a money grab

We had a state police officer on our lake love to write tickets harassed people right tickets right tickets he showed up at his boat one morning and it was at the bottom of the lakeShortly after that he was replaced by an officer who would educate instead of writing all the ticketsJust like regular people 99% are good with 1% are the ones you hear about

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would be interested to know the views on hand held vs the flare gun. If you are fishing territory waters and drift into canada get caught with the flare gun what type of trouble would you be in.
they may take your boat and possession? Talk about a money grab

A flare gun is considered a weapon in Canada. With all the new rules and regs concerning international waters and checking in , I think drifting into Canadian waters is no longer an option. There seems to be zero tolerance for mistakes your GPS is your life line here And yes , confiscation of your boat and equipment is a definite concern

57 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

As if CNN and MSNBC are purveyors of truth. 🤮

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

They already have Biden and Sanders leading in the polls! hahahaha :lol:

12 hours ago, Ray4852 said:

I obey the law. I know the system. I never had a violation in my 60 years of fishing. the law today is rotten to the core. its controlled buy the special interest runned by the far left media and our communist democratic party. these rotten bastards are out to suck the little guy dry with laws that make life harder for us. these people that make these laws     are a bunch of criminals that steal from the system night and day and get away with everything they do. we do some foolish they hang us. I see you are one of the far left.

The only way this post could be more humorous is if it was longer...  lmfao

Fox news today is CNN lite. its no better than the other left wing communist news networks. if you want real news go watch the independent news networks. no fake news here. just real news that tell the truth. A few to listen two are, the next news network, Alex Jones, the young turks, sixth seal news, breaking news, josh burstein show. you find these on youtube. you want more listen to rush Limbaugh, savage nation and mark Levin. get a subscription to levin TV also. better yet get a trump hat. I love my hat. get the black one. I get a lot of people that come up to me and say good things about my hat. last year new york state lost 170 thousand people. by reading some of these post here some of you have no clue on whats going on in ny state. this state is falling apart from within because the people that live here continue to vote for this slime from the democrat party. keep voting for them. you wont have a place to hunt and fish. 

• Like 2

I'm from Canada.

Carry a flare gun on my boat.

Can't see anyone making a fuss over having safety equipment on board.

Point it at someone and that will likely change quickly though.

I'm from Canada.
Carry a flare gun on my boat.
Can't see anyone making a fuss over having safety equipment on board.
Point it at someone and that will likely change quickly though.

Being a Canadian citizen in Canadian waters may make a difference a US citizen may get a different treatment. The law states that a flare gun is considered a weapon in Canada. I’m not taking a chance on going to jail in Kingston and having my boat and equipment confiscated. When in Canada , obey Canada’s laws

Signaling devices are exempt from the weapons act unless being used as a weapon.

If they were classed as weapons, when you crossed the border , they would be confiscated or you would be turned back.

I never even thought about declaring my flare gun when going to Henderson Harbor or Port Charlotte Florida.

Edited by BC FD
  • Like 1

After following this thread for a few days I went back and read the original post....started by an officer, giving everyone a heads up to be sure they have all the proper/required safety equipment...pretty much to avoid being ticketed....and it's turned into a **** session. 

I say thanks to all the guys that try to keep "ALL" boaters safe by educating the idiots that buy a boat, and don't take the time to know the laws and regulations...As boat owners...we take other peoples lives into our hands every time we take passengers out for a day of fun.  Not sure about the rest of you...but that weighs kind of heavy on me.  Unlike a car...if there's a fire...you cant get out and run...your in the water..now what?  It's 50 degrees...and everyone only has so long to survive...life jackets...who knew?

Damn officers...wrote me a $$$ ticket.  I didn't know I needed a fire extinguisher.  Man I got one now.  Makes 100% sense to me...but, I'm pretty dense.

Be safe out there and take 5 minutes to check your safety equipment.  Pretty sure that was the OP's message...and it could possible save a life.

• Like 2

Amen

After following this thread for a few days I went back and read the original post....started by an officer, giving everyone a heads up to be sure they have all the proper/required safety equipment...pretty much to avoid being ticketed....and it's turned into a **** session. 

I say thanks to all the guys that try to keep "ALL" boaters safe by educating the idiots that buy a boat, and don't take the time to know the laws and regulations...As boat owners...we take other peoples lives into our hands every time we take passengers out for a day of fun.  Not sure about the rest of you...but that weighs kind of heavy on me.  Unlike a car...if there's a fire...you cant get out and run...your in the water..now what?  It's 50 degrees...and everyone only has so long to survive...life jackets...who knew?

Damn officers...wrote me a $$$ ticket.  I didn't know I needed a fire extinguisher.  Man I got one now.  Makes 100% sense to me...but, I'm pretty dense.

Be safe out there and take 5 minutes to check your safety equipment.  Pretty sure that was the OP's message...and it could possible save a life.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Flairs seem to be a big issue because of the expiration date and getting a tickets.  But prior to moving to the Finger Lakes I fished mostly the Hudson River, Long Island sound and a little off shore around Montauk.  I was always told the 2nd most important piece of safety equipment was the VHF Radio, right after life jackets.  Most of the time I am on the water in the Finger Lakes I have my VHF radio on, scanning the frequencies but seldom hear any chatter.  Do others have radios and do people keep them on?  Are they monitored for distress calls?

Just wondering what others are doing. 

Thanks.      

Jim  K.

• Like 1

With a dead battery your VHF will not work. I would say today with gps tracking, a cell phone is more important. If you had to abandon ship, you can take your cell with you. I have the local coast guard number in my contacts. If you go to the compass feature on your phone, it will give your gps coordinates. 

• Like 1

Gill-T, Not trying to be a jerk, but batteries can go dead in a cell phone also and most don’t float.  The Radio I carry is portable that floats and automatically activates a distress call with GPS coordinates, Boat name and emergency contacts with a single press of a button.  My real question was do others in the Finger Lakes use VHF Marine Radios and do they monitor them when on the water?  Also do the local CG, Sheriff, State Police also monitor the VHF marine frequencies? 

And Yes I also always have my cell and will be adding the CG number to my contacts.  Always good to have backup.

Jim K.

VHF radios are still used for emergency purpose on the finger lakes. I know the Seneca county police monitored it. I very seldom turn it on. I'm the old fashion type fisherman that if I have a problem I find a way to get off the lake by myself with no  help. I know we have a few home base that monitor the radio also. I think its channel 16. the most important thing to have on the boat if you have a problem is good anchor rope. don't carry 50 ft carry 500 ft. anchor the boat and someone will find you. cell phone is good but I don't use one. Fishing the finger lakes is a different game. fishing the great lakes can be very dangerous if you don't have the proper safety gear on board. Seneca lake is the most dangerous finger lake. this lake can kick up in a hurry. I fished this lake a lot at night over the years. your on your own if you have a problem here at night.  

1 hour ago, hawkeye625 said:

Amen and exactly why I posted it 

A cell phone is a tool. if you take care of it, it will take care of you. when  you use a cell phone in the boat. you lock it up and keep it dry. when its time to use it, take it out and keep it dry while using it. put it back on charge  and store it when not using it. who needs to spend a lot of money for some water proof battery if they drop it in the water. what good is it. explain to me how somebody can drop a cell phone in the water. I see people all over today walking with a cell phone in their hands texting and talking and have no idea where they are walking. this is what happends to a society when technology takes over their brain. society becomes brain dead. 

Yeah because no one ever accidentally dropped a phone or keys or anything overboard ... 🙄 kinda betting your keys have a float on them.... frankly a good handheld radio is a great idea I carry one in my vest that is waterproof and floats 120 bucks when not out on patrol it’s on and acts as a secondary radio...you don’t have to be stupid to drop something