Orleans County Open - Results & Opinions Wanted

Congrats to team Dublin Up Sportfishing Charters for winning a tough tourney. They started day 2 in second place, and took advantage of a stumble by the team that was leading after day 1.

We'd like to thank all of our sponsors.
Narby's Superette & Tackle
Black North Point Breeze
FishUSA
Team Dreamweaver
Familiar Bite
A-Tom-Mik Mfg.
Hammerhead Cowbells
Gambler Rigs

It seems this event has become a "Pro" event over the years. Only 2 amateur teams fished it this year. We want to get the amateur teams involved becasue we feel this format benefits them. We have 4-5 great species in the lake to target, so fishing for them all (in my opinion) makes you a better fisherman. We were thinking about doing an amateur division and instead of 5 & 5, like the pros fish for, going to 3 salmon and 3 Trout for an amateur division. We'd like to hear your thoughts.

62171420_1137504836373304_3586775533041483776_o.thumb.jpg.d59ec333021e378eac26e89b119a6fce.jpg62229876_1137504763039978_5577353520228597760_n.thumb.jpg.ff2c6d9d6ffdb6265005b5b121df68ad.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations guys! Nice Win!

Being an "Amateur" I enjoyed talking with a bunch of different guys about the days of tournament fishing they had. I fished Friday for the first Leg of the Oak with Wrist Therapy, great weather and great fishing. Normally I fish out of Bald Eagle on my Boat and I opted out of the 2 days of Tournament fishing against the "Pros" because honestly it's definitely a tough tournament and I wasn't ready to put up the big bucks, just yet. If they had an Amateur division for this tournament I would love to fish it. 3 and 3 would be great or even 5 and 5. I spent a little time this weekend fishing for steelhead just to see how I would do putting 5 trout on the boat. Either way it would be a nice way to add more boats to the fun in the weekend. Great tournament and I loved just following everything!

Congratulations again to everyone who placed!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I feel as though you would gain many more boats if it was a non observer event. Most guys that fish out of smaller boats just dont have the room for an extra person. I dont feel as though making the cost lower would bring more people into fishing in an event. What I do think would help is allowing guys to register for something up until the day before. You would attract more guys with 18 - 24 foot boats that have to watch the lake conditions more cautiously. I know myself would be willing to put up more money than it is now if I knew I would atleast be able to get out and fish and not be stuck in 3 to 4 foot waves. I think splitting it into two different divisions wouldnt change much either.  Like myself I would rather fish where there was more competition and have everyone under the same format. 

• Like 1

The entry fee is a little pricey for most ams.Observers are always an issue when fishing from a smaller boat and living 2 1/2 hours from the Oak.As for the format of the tournament.I don't consider my self much of a trout fisherman.When 4 of the 23 boats on day 2 had a  10 fish limit, of which 21 were pros. That rules me out! 

15 hours ago, SB2111356 said:

I feel as though you would gain many more boats if it was a non observer event. Most guys that fish out of smaller boats just dont have the room for an extra person. I dont feel as though making the cost lower would bring more people into fishing in an event. What I do think would help is allowing guys to register for something up until the day before. You would attract more guys with 18 - 24 foot boats that have to watch the lake conditions more cautiously. I know myself would be willing to put up more money than it is now if I knew I would atleast be able to get out and fish and not be stuck in 3 to 4 foot waves. I think splitting it into two different divisions wouldnt change much either.  Like myself I would rather fish where there was more competition and have everyone under the same format. 

I think we can drop the observers in the amateur division, but on the pro side there are too many things a team can cheat on. For example on Saturday the clock struck 2pm and we started to clear lines as fishing ended at 1:59:59. 2pm the diver takes a ride and it's a clear upgrade. We had to throw that fish back. There is no communication, 8 rod limit, creel limits, and a few more rules that having someone look after makes sense when thousands of dollars are on the line.

so as someone trying to get into more tournament fishing i like hearing that you are considering an am division.  I would agree to some of the biggest hold ups for me are related to boat size.  i run a 19 footer and have to play the weather day to day.  i also typically have  a 3 person team and adding an observer takes away from the comfort enough to be a deterrent I do understand the need in a high stakes event.

having boat launching facilitys is always a plus and having trailer friendly weigh ins is also a plus.  

things like rod limits are great equilizers but tough to really enforce in a no observer event.  there are other ways to help even out the playing field and bring stratagy into play though.  a 10 fish box is tough on a 3 man team and if one of us has a faimily obligation and we fish with only two we'd be SOL.  multi species is a great thing to see and a 3 and 3 per day would be very small team friendly and still competitive.  I would even say it offers the opportunity to be creative and do maybe a 333 style maybe make the two day total 8 fish four salmon four trout but whatever you decide to weigh day one you cant change out on day 2.  

anyway just my thoughts. the dates on this tourny make an am division look inviting as a new one to try and we like to fish from different ports.

I love no observer am tourneys. I think 5-8 fish is the sweet spot. It’s not that I don’t want an observer (I’ve done it plenty of times), it just sucks sacrificing a team member or paying even more money to get one! I would probably do this tourney if there was an am division!

The Fishin’ Physician Assistant

Rick,

This may help?

AM division only

$250 entry plus any minor admin fees needed.

Alternate entry (optional) for an added amt for guys wishing to play for more? (like a side bet or structured calcutta) Same payout structure of 15%

List payout structure for main Am event-like 15% of field gets paid

Toss in the sponsor prizes in the Ams because most pros have a lot already?

Weigh-in 1 hour earlier than Pro-Open div. so not a big jam up.

3 salmon or maybe 5?

3 or 2 trout (only 1 can be laker)  Too many trout species can be intimidating for newer guys? But still some skill or luck involved :)

Having a less intimidating structure may get more guys involved then they could work up to the current 5 and 5 format.

*LOL-no one can fish east of Devils...or West of 30 mile :)

Captain Pete