The take away from all this is that there is no single "optimal" setting. The setting you use for each one depends on where the fish seem to be located, the approximate depth you wish to achieve in relation to where the fish are how many dipsies you intend to run, and just how your boat is set up to run what you intend to put out there. It also matters what you are running behind the dipsies. Like most of the things encountered in trolling it can be as complicated as you wish to make it:lol: The most important thing is to keep effective separation of the dipsies when running more than one per side.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hookedupf7 said:

I have only run one per side. That’s all the dipsey rods I have. Now I have to buy 2 more 😄😄. I didn’t realize you could run  more than one per side. I sense a big cluster f in the making for me. 😄😄😄

there is a lot more to running more than one per side. set on 3 I let the front rod out first to the desired length. I run the middle rod out 15' less than the front rod then the back rod set on 1 out 15' less than the middle rod. if I get a fish on one of the outside rods I just keep tension on the fish and walk to the middle of the boat and let the fish come over the other rods then start reeling the fish in. it you start reeling early it will get tangled in the other rods. when I let the rod back out I start by letting the diver back out as far over to the other side of the boat as I can get without getting tangles in the lines. I let it out slow. when it gets to 5 feet beyond the rods that will have to go over. like say you bring in the front rod and the middle rod is set at 120'. then I let out 125' then take the rod over the other 2 rods and set it in the holder and check the counter. if you allowed the diver to keep going while you take it over it should be close to 135. sure hope this info helps you be a better diver fishermen. I learnt to use divers by going out with a charter 2 days. I learnt more on that charter than I would have learned in yrs by myself. 

Just now, sherman brown said:

there is a lot more to running more than one per side. set on 3 I let the front rod out first to the desired length. I run the middle rod out 15' less than the front rod then the back rod set on 1 out 15' less than the middle rod. if I get a fish on one of the outside rods I just keep tension on the fish and walk to the middle of the boat and let the fish come over the other rods then start reeling the fish in. it you start reeling early it will get tangled in the other rods. when I let the rod back out I start by letting the diver back out as far over to the other side of the boat as I can get without getting tangles in the lines. I let it out slow. when it gets to 5 feet beyond the rods that will have to go over. like say you bring in the front rod and the middle rod is set at 120'. then I let out 125' then take the rod over the other 2 rods and set it in the holder and check the counter. if you allowed the diver to keep going while you take it over it should be close to 135. sure hope this info helps you be a better diver fishermen. I learnt to use divers by going out with a charter 2 days. I learnt more on that charter than I would have learned in yrs by myself. 

I don't use dipsies any more I use the lite bite slide divers and use then like a dipsy.

Yes but beam as in fighting fish with outboard and kicker on 8 ft beam. Widen where wires are behind boat a tad and the fish fighting room will widen

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The added beam doesn't exponentially add to the spread width. So you're in an 8 foot beamed boat and then you compare to a 10 foot bean you've only added 1 foot of space on each side though out the entire system from boat to lure I'm only talking about tangles on the take then with the fish travelling to the surface. Which is where most dipsey tangles happen. Tangling while fighting the fish is a different matter. But you are right to state that a higher setting will help reduce tangles 100%. Beam isn't really a factor though.

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, sjhags said:

The added beam doesn't exponentially add to the spread width. So you're in an 8 foot beamed boat and then you compare to a 10 foot bean you've only added 1 foot of space on each side though out the entire system from boat to lure I'm only talking about tangles on the take then with the fish travelling to the surface. Which is where most dipsey tangles happen. Tangling while fighting the fish is a different matter. But you are right to state that a higher setting will help reduce tangles 100%. Beam isn't really a factor though.

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

the beam only gets one side farther away from the other side. it doesn't get your divers farther apart. the best way to keep them apart is to do as I said in another post. don't start reeling the fish in until the rod is brought to the middle and allow the fish to come over the other lines then reel the fish in.