Lowrance HDS **** the bed

jigstick

Anybody here have experience with the lowrance HDS Touch displays?  Our HDS 7 Touch is acting up.  For 3 years it worked perfect.  Last trip out the sonar crapped the bed.  it won't read depth.  it just gives --- where depth should read.  and no image scrolls across the screen.

In the settings / installation menu we have the correct model transducer chosen.  However in the network settings, under depth source, we are given one option to pull data from and its listed as "HDS 7T this device (invalid)".

somehow this error arose and I can't figure out wtf is going on.  We still get a temperature reading, but no sonar.  Lowrance cusomter service sucks balls and have been no help.

any ideas?  we did a soft reset so far to no avail.  Everything in the settings seems to be correct except the sonar source says "invalid" next to it.

Very frustrating.  Should switch to Garmin. 

I did a soft reset but that didn’t fix it. I’m trying to avoid a hard reset because I haven’t backed up my tracks and waypoints onto an SD card yet. 

Maybe the ducer **** the bed. I don’t know. I’ve never had a problem with my Garmin, Raymarine, or Airmar components. 

im wondering if I should just buy a new transducer and plug it in.  see if it works.  I hate to throw money at a problem like that though...unless I know it will work.

I did some testing. A working transducer shows zero continuity between the 3 xtcr pins

The head unit shows a fluctuating ac voltage of up to 200v on my meter from any of the 3 xdcr pins. And zero volts ac when sonar is stopped. A quick voltage test on the head unit should point you in the right direction.

Hope this info helps

903396922_HDS20Blue20Transducer20Connector_zpsva7tn3xt.jpg.9a8e3fbcd9c17eeba844e63718c65c4a.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shellback said:

Are you sure you don't mean Garmin and Navionics?

You might be right. I read the email and deleted it, so I can't go back and read it again.

Edited to say, Garmin acquired Navionics, not Navico. That's what I get for not reading the email more carefully:lol:. Thanks to Shellback, I did some research on the merger.

Edited by Todd in NY

So I had my buddy install a brand new transducer to the display. We are now getting an appropriate water temp. But everything is still showing up as invalid in the installation settings. We’ve tried powering down the unit and turning it back on. We have the proper transducer model selected. Wtf is going on with this display?

F211C7F9-0A5E-4A57-9353-749DC989A7D7.png

2EEDDD9F-5A11-4CA3-8196-85407FAB473E.png

I had an HDS 7 touch do that a few years ago and fixed it with the restore factory settings. I let it detect the transducer during the initial setup and for some reason it worked again even though it was the same model I had selected before the reset.

I can’t remember if my screen showed the same issues you have, and I saw above that you don’t want to factory reset, but if you get desperate it may help.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

27 minutes ago, jigstick said:

So I had my buddy install a brand new transducer to the display. We are now getting an appropriate water temp. But everything is still showing up as invalid in the installation settings. We’ve tried powering down the unit and turning it back on. We have the proper transducer model selected. Wtf is going on with this display?

F211C7F9-0A5E-4A57-9353-749DC989A7D7.png

2EEDDD9F-5A11-4CA3-8196-85407FAB473E.png

everything on Local instead of global

j

I will try to help you out

You have 1 unit? If so check under: page-sonar if you have network sonar enable; if so disable

Then under nework, data source if you touch the arrow at the right of the screen  you will have some choices: choose reset local

Then under depth same thing be sure you are under Local and enable HDS7

Then touch the power button and choose: edit overlay then Menu and add,then choose sonar then enable depth and close

Then if this didn't work (witch I doubt) go to: Page-System then Restore defaults (you don't loose any waypoints doing this)

Let me know

I've had good results from Lowrance

tech assistence.  Friend advised always ask for a senior tech advisor. They usually speak better english, Not wanting to sound prejudice . I've got the Lowrancce Carbon on the boat now before that had HDS 1. Been on phone many time with there techs. You just gotta work thru the learning curve. I do still like Lowrance electronics even though I hear many complaints. Just  look at what most of the pros use.

i

So I was able to back up my data onto an SD card.  I tried everything mentioned in this thread.  None of that was able to get the sonar to read from a "valid" source.  

My GPS still says Global

My temp says Local and reads a temp, which I don't believe is accurate

my sonar reads local but as "invalid"

I tried a hard reset and even that hasn't fixed the problem.  The sonar still reads --- for depth but artifact / noise does scroll across the screen.

Im going to try another hard reset tomorrow and then put on a new transducer and see what happens.  But if that doesn't work I'm going to smash this thing with a dig bar and switch to something that ****ing works.  Probably Garmin.