Cayuga Father's Day Fishing

Finally had a chance to get on the water after a couple busy weeks.  All 3 of my high school/college age kids had to work today so was left to go solo but no regrets as glad they are willing to work some to help with college costs.  

Launched from Dean's a little after six and headed North.  Surface water temp at 58.  The fog was super thick so set up in deeper water then worked back in 100-150 fow for the first half of the trip as nervous about the poor visibility with no copilot.  

Flasher fly on the dipsey was attracting lake trout set at a 2 back 195-225.  One 29" fish really hammered it and somehow caused the mono leader to wrap around the wire above the dipsey.  Just as I was trying to net him along side the boat the wire snapped and he drifted back with fly, flasher, and dipsey.  :-(

Fortunately, I had a rigger rod set on that side of the boat so purposely let the fish and dipsey get snagged around the line.  Reeled it up and managed to bring in the fish and the gear! :smile:

That one was the big fish of the day with a 26" second place.  Both were beautifully colored native fish.  Wished I could take pictures but not enough hands coupled with the rain made it too tough to get done.

Still have no clue how the mono managed to wrap around the wire above the dipsey..... anyone else have that happen?

Once the fog started to lift worked in the 40-80 fow range but only found a few smaller lake trout hitting spoons.  

The rain kept on most of the morning but it stayed warm enough with minimal wind so kept at it until 10 then decided time to get in and dry up a little.

To all you Dads out there have a great Father's Day!!

Went out today also across the lake from you. Hit the 2ater around 1130 and fished until about 230. Caught 4 fish all above 6 lbs with one coming in at almost 10. All fish were on flasher fly combos with white atomic flys being the best. Marked a ton of bait and fish from 20 ft down to 50 ft. Held riggers 8n the 40 ft range and divers out 150 and 160. Had 2 kids with me 11 and 14 so boat controll was tough. Lead with different spoons was dead today. Good luck headed out for a day trip Wednesday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, Reel Doc said:

Finally had a chance to get on the water after a couple busy weeks.  All 3 of my high school/college age kids had to work today so was left to go solo but no regrets as glad they are willing to work some to help with college costs.  

Launched from Dean's a little after six and headed North.  Surface water temp at 58.  The fog was super thick so set up in deeper water then worked back in 100-150 fow for the first half of the trip as nervous about the poor visibility with no copilot.  

Flasher fly on the dipsey was attracting lake trout set at a 2 back 195-225.  One 29" fish really hammered it and somehow caused the mono leader to wrap around the wire above the dipsey.  Just as I was trying to net him along side the boat the wire snapped and he drifted back with fly, flasher, and dipsey.  :-(

Fortunately, I had a rigger rod set on that side of the boat so purposely let the fish and dipsey get snagged around the line.  Reeled it up and managed to bring in the fish and the gear! :smile:

That one was the big fish of the day with a 26" second place.  Both were beautifully colored native fish.  Wished I could take pictures but not enough hands coupled with the rain made it too tough to get done.

Still have no clue how the mono managed to wrap around the wire above the dipsey..... anyone else have that happen?

Once the fog started to lift worked in the 40-80 fow range but only found a few smaller lake trout hitting spoons.  

The rain kept on most of the morning but it stayed warm enough with minimal wind so kept at it until 10 then decided time to get in and dry up a little.

To all you Dads out there have a great Father's Day!!

I lost two sets off the dipsey on Saturday fishing Lake Ontario.  The salmon were hitting and running past the dipsey and cut the leader between the leader and dipsey.  Lost two flashers, a fly, and a meat rig!  When we reeled them in there was about 12" of line past the dipsey the was frayed.  It was brand new 30# P-Line.  Can't remember that ever happening before so it's crazy it happened twice in one day!

BTW...if the mono was wrapped around your wire line, there's a good chance you were letting it out too fast.  When you let them out fast, the dipsey tends to spin.

Edited by Zebedee

Zebedee, I appreciate hearing of your experience with the Kings.  As I get more time on the water I plan to graduate from Cayuga and spend some time out on Ontario but the boat needs some electronic upgrades first.

That lake trout was no King but it took out 40 feet of line when it first hit which in my experience is exceptional for a Cayuga lake trout.  I never felt like I let the line get slack reeling in BUT, I did have to keep adjusting the wheel as worked the fish in during the thick fog.  Perhaps it had a chance to make a run at the boat and wrap around the wire during one of those steering moments.

Yes I have been there done that with letting out line too fast and wrapping up all the terminal tackle.  I remember the mess and also recall knowing something was wrong right away.

Despite losing some tackle I hope some fish found the bottom of your boat and made your day a great one.

I’ve had dipsys twists before similar to your experience. I use braid so I don’t get cut but does make for a rough heavy reel back in. I blame my letting out too fast and also in the finger lakes I usually put cowbells with gambler rig on the dipsys near the bottom with sometimes hitting the bottom depending on boat speed and depth changes. Subtle bumps on the bottom but my guess is it causes the dipsey to bounce and go around the lines and twist. I have to work on my dipsey depths a little but it produces fish so it makes me hard headed to change sometimes [emoji51].

Always let out with the clicker and let out slow as mentioned. I usually keep my thumb on the spool to make it go out with some resistance as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Happens for two reasons in my estimation and experience.  One, letting out dipsy too fast.  Two, a small fish hit and spun it or three....a fish hit and ran forward causing the dipsy to roll onto itself.  The most logical is the third option as I don't have this happen to slide divers.

Edited by Gill-T