Garmin Striker 4

Hey guys,

Don’t get out more than 4/5 times a year. Dad and I have an older boat and looking to replace the depth finder. Looks like the Garmin Striker 4 is a great value. Anyone have any experience with it? Does it register your downrigger balls?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have no experience with that unit specifically but I will say this... 3.5" screen is going to make it tough to see what's going on. I would suggest something with a slightly bigger screen, a Humminbird Helix 5 can be had for under $200 and will be much easier to read with a 30% larger screen.

As far as marking your rigger balls, there are a few more factors other than your sonar. Mainly what size/style of ball you're using, I ran 10lb pancake weights my first year and could not see them below 50ish ft. Next year I upgraded to 12lb torpedo weights and I could see them down to 100ft, this was all with the same sonar unit. Any decent sonar will mark your rigger balls as long as they are in the transducer cone.

5 hours ago, Dan.Riordan said:

Hey guys,

Don’t get out more than 4/5 times a year. Dad and I have an older boat and looking to replace the depth finder. Looks like the Garmin Striker 4 is a great value. Anyone have any experience with it? Does it register your downrigger balls?

Thanks

I would buy used before getting a 3.5" screen. I would highly recommend something a little bigger around 6" unless you are sitting right in front of it you won't be able to see much from 2' or 3' away

I’ve got a Striker 4 in my kayak. Performance-wise I’m happy with it. It does pick up my hardware under the boat. But I’m using it in shallow lakes, not Ontario or the big Fingers.

Regarding size, the screen is small for all of the data it contains. It won’t have the detail or resolution of a bigger screen because the smaller screen doesn’t have as many pixels available for graphics. It’s fine if you don’t mind getting up close to read it, and aren’t look for precise structure details, but if you want to know what is going on from arms length or greater I would recommend a bigger screen.

I’ve got a Striker 4 in my kayak. Performance-wise I’m happy with it. It does pick up my hardware under the boat. But I’m using it in shallow lakes, not Ontario or the big Fingers.

Regarding size, the screen is small for all of the data it contains. It won’t have the detail or resolution of a bigger screen because the smaller screen doesn’t have as many pixels available for graphics. It’s fine if you don’t mind getting up close to read it, and aren’t look for precise structure details, but if you want to know what is going on from arms length or greater I would recommend a bigger screen.

Thanks for the review. How deep are you fishing?

It picks up the riggers, probe, and everything else. Screen size is the issue other than that best finder, gps, for the price hands down .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. What depths are you usually fishing?

I have a striker 5 ice pack and love it, I wouldn't want to go any smaller in my shack, and as far as being on the boat goes that 4" screen is the size of a cel phone so I guess put you phone on the dash and stand in the back and see what you think?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk