Deploying copper

I'm going to use my first ever copper rig this weekend. It's a three hundred footer and I'm going to get another one to match for the other side of the boat. I'm going to be running it off my big boards with some Scotty power Plus releases. Do I need to deploy the copper first before my Dipsy or can I run it right over top of my Dipsy. Thank you

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Start out deploying copper first let it out slow and you will have no problems. After you get the hang of it you can deploy it out the back of boat and move it over the top of your dipsey. I use tx44 boards and put copper back wherever it was in my spread without pulling rods all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Copper is always the first thing I put out for the day but after that I put it out overtop of everything else.

The key is letting it out slow! If you have good reels with a smooth drag ounce you get a some out loosen the drag with the clicker off and let it deploy itself slowly while you’re getting your riggers in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first-in copper and last-out copper, keep your thumb on the spool to keep it from backlashing. If you have to go over a dipsy then let the copper settle a couple of minutes down the middle before sending it wide -to allow for it to rise. Using a mag dipsy will lessen the chances  of the two getting together due to steeper dive curve. Use spoons while learning as flashers make a mess. 

After you let it out run it down the chute for a couple minutes that will ensure it has come up to running depth than you can send it down the board line over you're dipsey. When you are deploying it even if slow it is running slower than other lines and will sink deeper if you send it over your dipseys before it levels out there is greater risk of tangles

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app