Autopilot help

Another question about autopilot here... I've tried to read up and understand a little more about cable steer autopilot and if there is any options left. I'm completely lost when it comes to these as Ive never installed one. I have an old Simrad AP14 that came with my Penn Yan and it has since broke. The gears inside the helm stripped out and after searching everywhere possible, I can't seem to find a replacement. They just don't exist as they haven't been made in years. Other than needing the guts to the helm, or something compatible, the autopilot works fine and I'd really like to get it going again. I imagine they made quite a few of these and there are some of these helms still sitting around. Was hoping someone smarter than I could lend a bit of advice in finding one or help in how I'd get this put back together. Does Octopus make something that would be compatible to this unit? Any input is greatly appreciated!

IMG_20190607_145530422.jpg

IMG_20190607_145336999.jpg

IMG_20190607_145538664.jpg

For cable steering yes the Octopus helm drive is your best bet. I believe it requires 10-12in of clearance behind the dash. Your steering cable runs through a collar on it and the octopus motors pushes and pulls the cable for you. It looks similar to what you have. It should wire up to whatever course computer you have. 

Simrad made a similiar helm unit unit as well. Not sure if they still do. 

The octopus helm units are pretty straight forward if you have the space behind your dash for it. The trick to them is if you have “feedback” or “no feedback” cable steering. 

Their remote mechical drive is also nice. Installation can be a PITA if your motor sits deep in a hole.