Port of Rochester and ibay skunked!!!

To make a long story short the first day fished out of the port of Rochester late morning set up in 150 and worked all the way out to 350 with a six-line spread to meat two spoons and to flashers not a single thing on my screen so I was thinking they were in shallow better luck the next day. The next day launched out of Irondequoit Bay set up an 80 workout to 125 same spread this time the screen was lit up 80 to 100 finished from 4 to 9 with no luck once again. Not sure if there is any fish in this area but there were on my screen not sure what to do this is my first time getting skunked two days in a row. There might not be good numbers of salmon in the area. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or just not working the right active fish. Any advice would be appreciated and shout out to my boy Duke who toughed it out with me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They are there, they are in tight packs. I did 25 for 28 on Sunday. Mostly 16 to 20lb range. 1 stealhead and 1 laker, rest were kings. Down speed played a big part.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wow sounds like you had a good day what rigs did you work and where you right in front of the Genesee it's really frustrating for me to get a program going I have my Fish Hawk I was doing 2.2 I found 52 degrees and even got into 44 degrees. I really appreciate the info and I will be going on your Charter later this year just to pick up a few pointers. I'm getting my captain's license next year and I want to be able to Charter and learn how to get to use fresh consistently but I'm having a hard time and I'm worried that I won't be able to be a charter Captain if I can't consistently catch them any advice would be appreciated.

They usually move west by june. Not much luck in front of the river past may. (Until September of course). Best water was 140 to 170. Right at the temp break from 52 to 49. Everything was firing. Meat,dipsey,spoons, and flies. Work the drop offs. Pay attention to the current. 2.2 to 2.6 down speed was the ticket. Start with glows white and red early. Move to natural colors as the sun gets higher.

I couldn't agree more, but it was working for us. Sometimes they like it fast sometimes they like it slow. Just have to find which one for that day. Those numbers u posted are starting points. Also printed on the back of most lure packages. But not always the case.

IMHO, your down speed is too slow for consistent salmon and too fast for consistent Lakers, 2.8-3.0 for salmon with the occasional laker, 1.8-2 for lakers with the occasional salmon. Just my thought, they are there, my screen has been pretty quiet out of ibay but have had pretty good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Are you maybe putting the cart in front of the horse if you are paying all that money and travel cost to get a captain's license and you have to ask for advice here?  The Coast Guard is only licensing you to safely take people for a boat ride for money, they don't care what you know about fish or catching them.  But it is likely that your customers will want YOU to know what you are doing.  Do you think the learning curve is that short, start in 2019 and be chartering in 2020?  I suppose you could do what a lot of guys did in the late 70's, drag lines around for a bunch of hours, then find bottom and 55 and get them a couple of Lake Trout.  Most of the guys I knew who did that washed out of the guiding business in a couple of years, the  guys who can consistently fill the box with salmon have pad a LOT of dues to get to where they are.  Just sayin'

• Like 2

Lucky13 i have been apart od The LOU for awhile and have developed relationships with charter captains. I have been fishing for salmon for 6 years now and catch a lot and do well for myself its rare for me to get skunked. If you knew anything about being a captain of a boat youd understand that once youre part of that group they help one another out giving location of fish, tactics and whats been working and not working lately. The captain association is one of those elite leagues to be apart of where everyone comes together to make doing charters possible. You seem like a bitter guy and kind of an ****. I have had many captains tell me having customers is the hard part not the consistency of catchimg fish thats the easy part. I have done well for myself learning a lot from these guy on this forum. So please go **** yourself i have been ripping since 21 have most the knowledge and equipment just nned to fine tune it and want to be a capt also who catches lakers in 55 lol

• Like 1

Bingo

Are you maybe putting the cart in front of the horse if you are paying all that money and travel cost to get a captain's license and you have to ask for advice here?  The Coast Guard is only licensing you to safely take people for a boat ride for money, they don't care what you know about fish or catching them.  But it is likely that your customers will want YOU to know what you are doing.  Do you think the learning curve is that short, start in 2019 and be chartering in 2020?  I suppose you could do what a lot of guys did in the late 70's, drag lines around for a bunch of hours, then find bottom and 55 and get them a couple of Lake Trout.  Most of the guys I knew who did that washed out of the guiding business in a couple of years, the  guys who can consistently fill the box with salmon have pad a LOT of dues to get to where they are.  Just sayin'

Silverfoxcharters.net

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Soooooooo you think after getting your license their is some kind of Captain group like Alcoholic Anonymous to help you when you need it? You are very out of touch with reality. Sorry.

Lucky13 i have been apart od The LOU for awhile and have developed relationships with charter captains. I have been fishing for salmon for 6 years now and catch a lot and do well for myself its rare for me to get skunked. If you knew anything about being a captain of a boat youd understand that once youre part of that group they help one another out giving location of fish, tactics and whats been working and not working lately. The captain association is one of those elite leagues to be apart of where everyone comes together to make doing charters possible. You seem like a bitter guy and kind of an ****. I have had many captains tell me having customers is the hard part not the consistency of catchimg fish thats the easy part. I have done well for myself learning a lot from these guy on this forum. So please go **** yourself i have been ripping since 21 have most the knowledge and equipment just nned to fine tune it and want to be a capt also who catches lakers in 55 lol

Silverfoxcharters.net

• Thanks 1

Guys, this kid had been on the forum for at least a couple years, has posted reports that everyone benefits from, he sounds to be young and ambitious. Why be haters? I guess I just don’t see the point of posting the negative comments. If you don’t have something constructive to say please keep your comments to yourselves. If you want to offer him sound advice please do. Every one needs to start somewhere.

Baitballin, big groups of fish to the west, braddocks bay has been hot from 70-200 FOW, riggers down 55 and 65 worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would think acting like this any using profanity and calling successful Charter Captains in the "fraternity", old and washed up will not endear you to the network you so want to be part of and hope to help you.  I can tell you Scott is well respected despite the barbs jokingly throw around here.  I know for a fact you just destroyed some bridges with other captains out that there that just read these posts.  Nothing wrong with being young and having motivation but disrespecting those established in the business is just the wrong path to go. 

• Like 7

I have something constructive to say: when somebody gives you reasonable advice, don't throw it back in their face just because you don't want to hear what they have to say. Don't use expletives on a public forum. Your future clients are developing their opinion of you NOW. Don't trash talk somebody when you don't know who they're friends with. You mentioned a "fraternity". Well, you just ticked off most of the guys in it. 

If your intent was to sabotage your potential as a charter captain, fine start young man. Fine start indeed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2