Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baitballin86

Port of Rochester and ibay skunked!!!

Recommended Posts

I don’t get why you didn’t read the reports from Braddocks area in here. Everyone has been doing more consistent inside of 120 from the River west of sandy...…. The other thing is, there are tons of smaller kings around and it has been more of a spoon bite so far.  Like last year, I have found flashers are slowing the spread down on most days. 


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by GAMBLER
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hit the reset, maybe a simple apology, Scott’s a great guy and helps a lot of people.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

double post

 

Edited by GAMBLER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

triple post

 

Edited by GAMBLER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this elite secret society have pins? OHhh maybe a cool sticker that I can add to my boat so it attracts fish to my lures like those stickers that add HP to racecars. I would like a pin though for my sailor hat, then I'll catch lots of fish no matter what boat I'm on and have access to all the other Captians info and catch rates with special colors.

 

Sorry for the sarcasm but seriously you've been a member for 1 year and cussing guys out that have been fishing probably longer than you've been alive. I've been a member on here for a few years and you need to have thick skin, your way isn't the only way and if someone gives a recommendation/criticism take it in stride. No need to get butt hurt over someone that is trying to help even if it isn't something positive or you want to hear. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hes in his 20s ( my guess) we were all untouchable then! We need to stay together as this is a dyeing breed. Youngsters now days would rather watch people live their lives thru technology instead of do it!! Just go to a boat launch and look at the age. Dont try walleye fishing bud , u ask anyone anything and all you get is...well in the water... yep that's where I caught it. Most salmon guys are more than generous

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bettieanne said:

Hes in his 20s ( my guess) we were all untouchable then! We need to stay together as this is a dyeing breed. Youngsters now days would rather watch people live their lives thru technology instead of do it!! Just go to a boat launch and look at the age. Dont try walleye fishing bud , u ask anyone anything and all you get is...well in the water... yep that's where I caught it. Most salmon guys are more than generous

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 

Definitely stick with salmon...and I'd start by working on my people skills if you intend on needing a network of captains to help you catch...though at this point with all the bridges burning it would be easier to learn to catch your own fish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fishing community is a small one. We all tell our story and are known for the things we do and the things we say. Be thoughtful as to how you want to be thought of and known. Be respectful, listen, help others. Khama is real, reap what you sow.
I’m not saying you have to kiss ass but bridges should be built not blown up. There are a lot of people in the fishing community that I think a lot of. There are a few here I can’t stand. I would however pull lines and tow in anyone. I also will and have shared info freely with anyone that asks. You’re young and are telling your story. Don’t get to a place where you regret the story you’ve told, or the reputation you’ve created.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much to learn young skywalker.  You need to learn the business side.  You need to learn how to talk to people i.e. smooze clientele, even though you don't have a thing in common with them.  You need to learn basic boat maintenance in order to keep your rig fishing and not canceling charters.  Marine mechanics don't just drop what they are doing just because you have clients coming the next day.  You need to learn how to network (without offending).  You need to have all your fishing and safety gear.  You need to have insurance.  You should have a slip- home base.  You need to learn how to deal with drunk obnoxious smokers on your boat.  You need to know what to do when a client starts turning green and goes quiet.  You need to have probably 120 charters to break even.  You need to have the patience of Job to deal with late arriving clients or clients that keep dropping fish.  You need to deal with clients who cancel last minute.  You need to keep in touch with past clients for repeat business.  Last but not least........you need to learn how to catch fish in an East wind!

Edited by Gill-T
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take the doctors advice...... and it’s free... only thing I could add is get a mate gig with a captain, preferably sooner rather than later. You’ll learn more than you could ever on your own. Might even give you a sense of what you might not be expecting. There’s a wide network of professionals and amateurs on here that are very helpful and willing to go out of there way for people.


Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

Much to learn young skywalker.  You need to learn the business side.  You need to learn how to talk to people i.e. smooze clientele, even though you don't have a thing in common with them.  You need to learn basic boat maintenance in order to keep your rig fishing and not canceling charters.  Marine mechanics don't just drop what they are doing just because you have clients coming the next day.  You need to learn how to network (without offending).  You need to have all your fishing and safety gear.  You need to have insurance.  You should have a slip- home base.  You need to learn how to deal with drunk obnoxious smokers on your boat.  You need to know what to do when a client starts turning green and goes quiet.  You need to have probably 120 charters to break even.  You need to have the patience of Job to deal with late arriving clients or clients that keep dropping fish.  You need to deal with clients who cancel last minute.  You need to keep in touch with past clients for repeat business.  Last but not least........you need to learn how to catch fish in an East wind!

Well Said Jedi-Master Gill  !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would almost never engage in a debate like this usually I would just read it for the entertainment. But Gill-t your words are very encouraging and informative to anyone out there who's ever even consider being a captain. I am not a captain I am a googan a weekend warrior who absolutely loves to fish every chance he gets. And every so often I get this bright idea to maybe have a small Charter Business on the side for a bunch of extra spending cash. After reading your post it really matures up a younger guy like me who's 42 into the real true commitment of being a charter captain. I personally look up to all of our Charter captains in my home Port like they are sports figures. Gill t your post should be on the application to become a charter Captain before somebody even consider putting in a down payment towards the licensing commitment and fee very well said. And baitball go get them dude we need more young ambitious guys like you who are able to take a lesson or learning from an old guy and apply it towards positive energy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joelagreca said:

I would almost never engage in a debate like this usually I would just read it for the entertainment. But Gill-t your words are very encouraging and informative to anyone out there who's ever even consider being a captain. I am not a captain I am a googan a weekend warrior who absolutely loves to fish every chance he gets. And every so often I get this bright idea to maybe have a small Charter Business on the side for a bunch of extra spending cash. After reading your post it really matures up a younger guy like me who's 42 into the real true commitment of being a charter captain. I personally look up to all of our Charter captains in my home Port like they are sports figures. Gill t your post should be on the application to become a charter Captain before somebody even consider putting in a down payment towards the licensing commitment and fee very well said. And baitball go get them dude we need more young ambitious guys like you who are able to take a lesson or learning from an old guy and apply it towards positive energy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 

X2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother and I have been fishing lake Ontario since the late 70's.We have ment a lot of great people that share the same passion we do,we also have ment some no so great people ,not many though.We fish out of the port as Silver Fox, Scott is a good fisherman and stand up guy.We started doing this long before the internet.Word of mouth was the only info back then, sometimes it's best to try different things and see what's works best for you and your rig.Be the guy who makes the news,not the one who follows it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You look at someone of these charter captains, such as Scott running Silverfox, Richard H on Yankeetroller, Vince P with Thrillseeker, Tom Burke on Coldsteel ect. and you start to see some trends. They live the sport.

 

Constant professionals on and off the water. From penn rearing projects to offering advise via posts, they know what it means to be a professional. They are confident yet humble. The moment you think you have figured out this game completely is the day you start to get to ignorant to adjust to changing trends.

 

Being a charter captain makes you an ambassador of the sport. You do not enter captaincy to get rich as most will confirm, you enter it because you love it and as Andy Bliss says #suckstohaveadeskjob. Which is true but if it was that easy, we all would be in the game full time.

 

I just turned 30 myself, which I feel is turning into the younger side for this sport. You MUST show your respect to those that came before you. The reasons we have such a great fishery now is the sacrifices of many of the veteran volunteers on this site.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You look at someone of these charter captains, such as Scott running Silverfox, Richard H on Yankeetroller, Vince P with Thrillseeker, Tom Burke on Coldsteel ect. and you start to see some trends. They live the sport.
 
Constant professionals on and off the water. From penn rearing projects to offering advise via posts, they know what it means to be a professional. They are confident yet humble. The moment you think you have figured out this game completely is the day you start to get to ignorant to adjust to changing trends.
 
Being a charter captain makes you an ambassador of the sport. You do not enter captaincy to get rich as most will confirm, you enter it because you love it and as Andy Bliss says #suckstohaveadeskjob. Which is true but if it was that easy, we all would be in the game full time.
 
I just turned 30 myself, which I feel is turning into the younger side for this sport. You MUST show your respect to those that came before you. The reasons we have such a great fishery now is the sacrifices of many of the veteran volunteers on this site.
 
 
Scott wasnt showing respect but was simply sticking out his chest trying to be the big guy. Pride should take a back seat when it comes to giving advice and he wasnt really trying to give advice. He may be a great guy but reading his post it didnt come across that way. No worries if you guys can run charters i can too you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know Scott but I know he was speaking from experience and doesn't own you anything and definitely isn't sticking out his chest at your expense.  He has made his mark and isn't trying to improve it by trashing you.  Sure you can run charters...and more power to you.  I'm not old and I'm not young but I've been at this game a loooong time.  All information is good....even the "bad" information doing anything that might restrict your ability to get information is foolish.  Just take it in.  I don't know you and I'm not for or against you.   I get a LOT of information by staying neutral.  Do I dislike certain people, captains etc.  Sure.  But I keep that to myself and the older I get the more I let it go anyway.  

Edited by Fat Trout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the fun of fishing ,at least to me is figuring it out for myself . 

 

I can tell you from doing the salmon thing from the beginning that trolling is pretty simple . But made complicated by many . 

 

The secret is knowing seAsonal patterns , where to fish and when . 

 

 

 

 

All you need us 10 spoons  in the right colors from early May to labor day to catch fish ,as long as you are in the right location . 

2 riggers and a dipsy or 2 and you are set . 

 

This time of year is the hardest time IMO . Because the lake is in transition and fish are everywhere . 

 

In about 2 week's time it will be more consistent . 

 

We all have bad days . But put down proven stuff and stick with it and pay attention to details . Find fish and stay over them . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, baitballin86 said:

Scott wasnt showing respect but was simply sticking out his chest trying to be the big guy. Pride should take a back seat when it comes to giving advice and he wasnt really trying to give advice. He may be a great guy but reading his post it didnt come across that way. No worries if you guys can run charters i can too you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 

Obviously you do not know Scott.  Scott is a good guy, very humble and a ball buster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 9:02 AM, baitballin86 said:

It's called networking you f****** retard what are you scared that I'm going to take over the Charter Business from you and take your clients away cuz you're an old man

On 6/20/2019 at 8:56 AM, baitballin86 said:

I have done well for myself learning a lot from these guy on this forum. So please go **** yourself

On 6/20/2019 at 8:56 AM, baitballin86 said:

You seem like a bitter guy and kind of an ****.

Quote

 

You need to give it a rest dude. Over 1300 looks at this post as of 4 PM Friday. That's a lot of damage to your potential charter business and reputation in a very short  amount of time. I'm sure many experienced fishermen  myself included, (29 years on the lake) will no longer respond to your posts. 

 

Look at your quotes above. Why would any member of this forum subject themselves to that ?

Edited by J.D.
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bateballing86. ??? I think you may have just 86,ed yourself. Most of the gentleman you just insulted could have shaved years off the learning curve for you. This site is by far the greatest fishing site in the United States. People here take pride in helping others. That’s what this site is all about. I’m t a loss as to what advice to give you? So I’ll just say this. Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubts!!! Good luck and tight lines. You’ll need it.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch babe


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Obviously you do not know Scott.  Scott is a good guy, very humble and a ball buster. 

He is pretty old though


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...