Salmon River 12/26/08 with Chasin' Tail Adventures

We, my brother and I, met Andy at Fat Nancy's around 7:30, and I got to play with my first float rod and reel set-up. I was super excited to go out and fight some of those winter steelies on it. We hit the water and its super packed with fisherman. It didn't take long for my brother, who is a first time drift boater, to hook his first fish. It also didn't take him long to kick our tails! I think we ended the day with my brother landing 5 fish (4 Steelies and 1 Brown), Andy landing 2 (One that tipped the boga at 12lbs), and me 0 for 2 on the new set-up and an ugly sucker fish landed. The trout don't get along with me on the lake, and they don't show any love on the streams!

As for the pluggin method.....it didn't pan out for us today. We tried it real quick, but I was so much into getting the new rod and reel broke in that we didn't give it much of a chance. here are some pics of our fish.

100_0746.jpg

100_0748.jpg

100_0750.jpg

100_0751.jpg

100_0752.jpg

Andy with his brute!

100_0749.jpg

Yankee, I buzzed up to Fat Nancy's & got the skinny on centre pins and made my donation to the industry. Just curious how long it took till you could cast it somewhat? Planning to go out with a guide after I get a bit of a handle on this thing!

Casting it is easy. There is an easy way that by the end of the day your gonna have to cut some line off the reel due to twisting, and there is a harder way which doesn't affect the line at all. If you pull it off the side of the reel with one hand and cast it that the easy way. If you strip it and cast while its stripping that's the hard way with no twisting of the line.

If your going to hire a guide I would do so very soon. The shiney chromers are starting to dwindle out, and the fish are turning their river colors. I'm sure a few stragglers will enter the river all winter, but those chromers are the fighters. There are a bunch of GREAT guys out there to go with. Andy from Chasin' Tail knows the Salmon as well as anyone. Kevin Davis of Catch a Drift fishes the Oswego, and knows that just as good as anyone. If you want a scenic trip then pic the Salmon River. If you don't mind starring at the port of Oswego, and only fishing a few spots, then hit up the Oswego.