Otisco conditions

The heavy rain here has the lake over the docks and lots of debris.  In addition to that heavy weedcutting efforts this week have massive weed mats floating in many areas.  To top it off bait action and subsequent predatory action was shut down last night from what I saw.  Tiger fishing is still good though.  If you are looking for walleye I'd wait a few days.  

• 3 weeks later...

How’s the fishing been out there?  I haven’t been to Otisco for 3 weeks but hoping to try out my new downriggers today before I hit Ontario.  I have never been able to try spoons for walleyes here but would like to throw a couple into the mix to see how they do.  Any color guidelines to follow or does it change by the day?

Offshore trolling has set up.  I'm doing well on jr silver streaks off the riggers and boards.  Not much on plugs yet.  20-30 down fish your graph.  Gotta find schools of bait with walleyes on em.  Browns have turned on out there as well.  Perch or alewife patterns are the play.  Best fish yesterday was over 8lbs and 25 inches.

KIMG0351.JPG

• Like 1

Those jr silver streaks are the little guys right?  I have a bunch of Stingers for browns on Ontario but a few Scorpions which are 2 1/2”, wow they look small for Otisco though?!  Are the fish spooky?  Wondering how far behind the ball I should set the closest lines

I don't pretend to understand it fully, but for me, the small spoons are the play for numbers.  I have 1 large spoon I run if the bite is good that seldom catches a fish under 9 lbs.  I have my favorite colors in all the sizes, but the bigger ones seldom see water anymore.  I do well on the tigers with Jrs as well!  As far as leads go I've done well at 15 feet behind the ball and Ive done well at 100 feet back.  Depends on lake conditions and your preference.  Takes a full spread covering all your bases and several depths to figure it out each day.  I run 9 rods most of the time.  Stingers work nearly as well but they are junk and don't hold up like silver streaks. 

Wow that’s impressive.  I’m not a fan of the quality of Michigan Stingers but that’s all I’ve ever trolled with and they work well but sounds like I need to broaden my brand selection.  Do you use wire leaders or just heavy fluoro leaders

Thought I'd share a pic of a decent fish from yesterday.  Fish came 25 down offshore on a rigger.  Also included in the pic is my new rigger rod and reel.  I'm very happy with the Denali myriad walleye rods and the Daiwa Lexa lc s.   

KIMG0356.JPG

Awesome, very nice.  At some point I hope to have some quality gear like that but still building my arsenal.  Just finished rigging up my 5th trolling rod, a wire Dipsy setup.  I also got a few of the lures you suggested and hope to do a shakedown run on Otisco this week before I hit the big O.  I’d love to get a couple of those eyes trolling without spinning a kayak around and tangling up lines this time haha

F71A885D-320C-4039-BF28-F0C6DB115C66.jpeg

Awesome, very nice.  At some point I hope to have some quality gear like that but still building my arsenal.  Just finished rigging up my 5th trolling rod, a wire Dipsy setup.  I also got a few of the lures you suggested and hope to do a shakedown run on Otisco this week before I hit the big O.  I’d love to get a couple of those eyes trolling without spinning a kayak around and tangling up lines this time haha
F71A885D-320C-4039-BF28-F0C6DB115C66.thumb.jpeg.ba53d1fcf4a9b75ad55ac1d3ccef8fa2.jpeg

Cool boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks, it’s been my project this year getting it outfitted and finally running like it should.  Just have to get a drift sock or 2 to keep that 130 at a nice trolling speed.  It does not like to run steady on slow idle without coughing

It came with a sweet t-top but I need to find someone that can weld aluminum before I can bolt it back on.  It was docked on Fire Island  and at low tide it keeled on its side and bent 2 middle sections of the uprights