How to splice a fishhawk or fishfinder cable

garrymny

Ok, when I did my Transom I cut both the fish hawk and FF transducer cables. YES you can splice them. In the following pictures you will see how.1. cut the Cable. 2. Split and remove the outercase insulation. 3. On each end, cut the wires so your solder splices will be staggered. This means for example on one end cut the yellow wire long, on the other, cut the yellow wire short and so on. 4. Slide a large 1/2 inch heat shrink over one end. Slide it back well out of the way. 5. Slide a 1/8 or 3/32 inch heat shrink over each splice you will make. 6. Strip and tin each wire with solder. 7. Solder each wire together. Do not twist them. Just heat and lay along side each other. 8. Heat shrink each wire as you go. 9 put the shields back over the wires. Solder the shield strands, and just wrap or encase the wires with the foil. 10. Slide 1/2 inch heat shrink over. Done. I will post pictures that will show each step. I even had to splice in 6 feet of cable for the FF transducer. No problem, just an extra splice. Pictures will be added in replies. They will not load in the edit function.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I accidentally cut into my fishawk x4d cable but not right thru. Make sure the shield cables are also connected. The x4d has a set of wires that have the foil shield with a bare shield wire setup inside another set of wires with another foil bare wire shield setup. Must make sure that is intact. A floating shield will be big problems.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

They do make in line  connectors for those type of cables . Very easy to use and will also allow you to go from a 6 wire system to a 5 wire  [ that's just a random number depending , on your specific needs.]  I needed that as I changed FF and that had a different plug in's at the FF vs the ducer plug . Wanted to keep the in hull ducer and just cut ducer wire so I could use FF plug without messing with a new ducer.  No soldering or shields needed .connector has screw type mini clamps if memory serves me correct.

Edited by Bozeman Bob
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

They do make in line  connectors for those type of cables . Very easy to use and will also allow you to go from a 6 wire system to a 5 wire  [ that's just a random number depending , on your specific needs.]  I needed that as I changed FF and that had a different plug in's at the FF vs the ducer plug . Wanted to keep the in hull ducer and just cut ducer wire so I could use FF plug without messing with a new ducer.  No soldering or shields needed .connector has screw type mini clamps if memory serves me correct.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app