Cayuga Cayuga Lake Access/ Canandaigua dead fish

I would like to do some lake trout jigging on Cayuga Lake out of Cayuga Lake State Park in my kayak but I see on their web site that entry is 7 bucks and then a 7 buck launch fee. Is that correct? If it is, is there somewhere at the North end that a Kayak can launch and get to deeper water within a mile without paying 14 bucks?

Was on Canandaigua lake yesterday fishing other species and could not believe all the dead fish I saw. over 100 rock bass, blue gill, perch and small mouth all floating along in a line with a string of debris of leaves and twigs and such. So hate seeing that.

I should have checked the lake depth map first, north end is shallow for a long section. Even Union Springs is about 2 miles to deep water from what I can tell. Maybe its worth driving further to find a launch closer to deep water. Good to know about the $7 dollar fee including both. I just might do some other type of fishing up at that end.

The water is generally less than 15 ft. until a few miles from the park south (near Canoga). When we camp at the park I launch out of Dean's Cove which is also on the west side of the lake down a few miles south from the park. There is a good launch ramp there and you park in the elevated lot above and there is a payment kiosk both at the top parking area and down near the ramp itself. I believe the fee is $7.00 (I have an Empire pass) so I am assuming the $7.00 fee amount).

Edited by Sk8man

Deans cove sounds like the best place for me to launch. Not able to paddle as far as I did years ago. 7 bucks is a fair price for a chance to have some fun on the lake. Now if I can pick a day that's not blowing too too hard I will be in my glory!  Thanks for all the advice, it's appreciated!!

X3 on Deans Cove. Another option is across the lake from Deans Cove on the east side is Long Point State Park. Nice park and with clean rest rooms and deep water a few paddle strokes from the launch site. If your going to use any of the state parks more than 12 time a year it would better to purchase a Empire Pass for $80.00. It gives you unlimited access to any New York State Park. You can get one on-line and info on all the benefits it has to offer.

Haha! Finding fish is just the first part of the equation! About 4 years ago I had a small bass boat and use to jig for lakers on Seneca when fishing was still in it's prime there. They don't always want to cooperate that is for sure. But, for me, I enjoy figuring out what will trigger them. Takes some time sometimes and not always successful but our lakes in the area are treasures and every moment on the water is very special.

Also, Stinger, I always had an empire pass when I had a trailered boat but with the kayak I usually find free places to slip in so the need for the pass would not be cost effective in my situation.

Go to Sheldrake Point .. Deep water is right there and its free.. Not a ramp there per se, but hard ground right to lakes edge.. i used to launch  big heavy glass boats with no issue.. its a very nice area to dump a kayak in, and its free, and the lakers are  stones throw from where you launch.. At the state park, it would be an hours paddle one way to get into water deep enough for lakers... bob

Thanks so much to everyone helping answer my questions with sound advice gleaned over the years. You make it easy to put together a good experience on the lake!! If I can entice a few up from the deep I will put up a photo of my success. Thanks again to all for the help!!

I’ll X (don’t know what number we’re up to) Longpoint state park and deans cove, if you launch at Longpoint then the college is a 15 minute paddle north and some of the best laker jigging on the lake (caught 6 there jigging last weekend). Deans Cove is also great and after fishing the college we motored over there directly in front of deans in 50-75fow and caught 2 more after 11am. Sheldrake point is also great although I haven’t been there yet this year (maybe this weekend). All great laker jigging locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

As to the dead fish on Canandaigua, did you call NYSDEC?   It is likely a thermal inversion  (localized), as the species you see undergo thermal stress from rapid upwellings of cold water, but they will likely want to know about it.

• 2 weeks later...