Copper and wire

It is said that 19 strand torpedo wire has the same sink rate as weighted steel when it is used combined with steel. It also said that weighted steel has the same sink rate as copper. So can I use 300 copper +200 19 strand instead of 500 copper? It would mean less weight, smaller reels and fewer copper related birds nests.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It is said that 19 strand torpedo wire has the same sink rate as weighted steel when it is used combined with steel. It also said that weighted steel has the same sink rate as copper. So can I use 300 copper +200 19 strand instead of 500 copper? It would mean less weight, smaller reels and fewer copper related birds nests.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That is the jist of what maker of torpedo weighted steel claims. There is a long thread on here from over the winter where we discussed this exact topic. I have a couple of reels set up with 200ft of weighted steel backed by 19 strand. They work well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What I mean is the 19 strand torpedo wire tied to 300 copper. First the copper goes out and after 300 feet of copper line, the 200 feet of 19 strand wire follows down the chute. The torpedo maker (Matthew) claims that the sinkrate of the 19 strand behind the weighted steel is the exact same as the weighted steel because it has extremely low water resistance.

I use 200 and 300 feet weighted steel wire followed by 19 strand wire and it works great for me. It is my number one fish catcher.

I just wonder If I can use the 19 strand combined with copper instead of weighted steel wire and still have the characteristics of copper,but minus the bulk and weight of 500 feet of copper

Edited by rolmops

I would just stick to the copper.  The more connections you have, the more chances of failure can occur.  I have ben running 45lb Atommik copper for 13 years and have never had issues with it.  Long coppers can be a PITA, but they flat out produce fish.  If you are worried about them being too much effort, simply don't run them.  I know a lot of guys that will not run long coppers. 

If you already have WS backed with wire and it works well why would you want to use and unproven method of copper backed with wire? Why not just use 200ft WS and 300ft wire instead of a 500 copper? 

I believe 45# WS and #45 copper have similar sink rates but not quite exactly the same. So even if you did 400 of wire behind 200WS to compensate for that, it would still be a lighter and easier to handle than 500 copper.

Edited by FishingFool34

4 hours ago, FishingFool34 said:

If you already have WS backed with wire and it works well why would you want to use and unproven method of copper backed with wire? Why not just use 200ft WS and 300ft wire instead of a 500 copper? 

I believe 45# WS and #45 copper have similar sink rates but not quite exactly the same. So even if you did 400 of wire behind 200WS to compensate for that, it would still be a lighter and easier to handle than 500 copper.

I have been doing that for the past years. at this point I am just curious about different possibilities

48 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

Galvanism. 

Right on. The copper will sacrifice to the stainless and the whole thing will turn green. I should have known that (hmm I did, but I never thought of it). This whole idea just boiled down to a senior moment. thanks for straightening this one out.