St Lawrence Pike Fishing Advice.

Hey, I am kind of new to pike fishing and I am planning to take a trip up to the St Lawrence River around mid August.  I will probably be doing most of my pike fishing up there with spoons but I do not know what colors, kinds or sizes work best since I rarely venture up there.  If someone could help me out with this or could give me any other advice for pike fishing up there that would be awesome.

Edited by Will05

Hey man, Doctor spoons gold plated are the best thing we have found for pike in the islands. Retrieve them with a sweep stop when bringing it in. A lot of times as the spoon flutters back down as you stop they smash it. Just get them in the standard size. We have tried all different colors, but gold plated works the best by far. Black/sliver rattletraps also work great

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I second the #5 mepps spinner baits, along the weed edges and over top of the weed beds in the bays has been very productive over the years. If you get a bunch of follows but no takers tip the spinner bait with a yellow or white mister twister, Yellow and pink mepps have been my go to colors, blue fox # 5 vibrex are a good option as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Redhead Floating 14mag Rapala's work great trolling over weeds.  Blue or Gold Docture Spoons casting over weeds. You can put a Uncle Josh White Pork Strip on your spoon.  Also a white Mepps Plain Giant Killer with Ball Bearing Steel Leader will do the trick too. All lures are availlable at the Thousand Island Bait Shop by the bridge. Best of luck. Dont forget Long Needlenose Pliers, Hook Cutters , & Jaw Spreaders. P.S.  Large net for a live well on the side of the boat.

1 oz red and white silver back Daredevil

BAGLEYS DB 06 chrome black ( old school ) 

3/8 or 1/2 oz white  or perch pattern bucktails along weed edge dropoffs ( I make my own ) 

#5 Mepps Bucktails 

I spent time in front / around Thousand island park . 

Weed edges seemed to be key . As it always seems to be . 

Large beetle spin.  Docks and weed edges.  No leader needed if you hooking them in the lip.  $2 lure.  Catches more than just pike too.

I also like perch color spinner bait with willow leaves and trailer a gulp alive in fire tiger color.  Again - no leader.

• 4 months later...
Large beetle spin.  Docks and weed edges.  No leader needed if you hooking them in the lip.  $2 lure.  Catches more than just pike too.

I also like perch color spinner bait with willow leaves and trailer a gulp alive in fire tiger color.  Again - no leader.
Let's not forget about the Johnson's silver minnow spoon. After reading all of this I have decided where 2020 vacation will be. Haven't been to Eel bay since1986 and 1987. Is it still called a vacation when you are retired

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Let's not forget about the Johnson's silver minnow spoon. After reading all of this I have decided where 2020 vacation will be. Haven't been to Eel bay since1986 and 1987. Is it still called a vacation when you are retired

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Call it whatever you want as long as your fishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app