Copper vs steel?

I have a ton of leadcore setups and was planning on switching to copper for my salmon trolling. I have about 1200' ft of steel wire and was thinking of using it instead. Mainly cause i already have it and because i wont use them much....unless they preform awesome. But is there any reason i should not use it. It seems like it should work. Comes off the reel nice and kink free and less hastle then copper. I was thinking about making a 500, a 300, and 2 200's. Should i run different lengths? Also how would i connect it to my leaders or backing? I only run 2 steel diver rods and have 1000 ft on both of them. No backing and connected directly to my divers with a crimp. Should i just get the copper or could i use steel and how? I think as a kid my grandpa ran steel flatlines. But i cant remember and fishing was different back then. Just trying to switch from inlines to big boards. Deeper lines and chasing salmon more than walleye. If anybody runs steel how do you have your setups?

If you're talking about the same steel wire you use for dipsey divers then it won't get you anywhere near the depths of copper. WEIGHTED steel on the other hand will get close to copper depths but I don't think that is what you have. 

Not sure how you would of come across 1200’ either, they only make weighted steel in 200’ and 300’ lengths?

You can get any length you want, even a service spool. They're purchasable by special order through any dealer that can order direct from Torpedo. I ordered a service spool at the LOTSA show in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, John E Powell said:

You can get any length you want, even a service spool. They're purchasable by special order through any dealer that can order direct from Torpedo. I ordered a service spool at the LOTSA show in January.

Thanks John, I didn’t know that? Good info!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John E Powell said:

Well that is good to know, but I still don't think that it what he is talking about. I believe he has 1200' of 7 strand SS wire not weighted steel.

14 hours ago, skinny420 said:

Yup.....thats why i asked. I got 7 strand. So since i got to buy weighted steel or copper.....what is recomended?

I would go with Torpedo for weighted steel and with A-Tom-Mik for copper, although others swear by Blood Run

Edited by rolmops