Is September too late to book a charter?

J O

Hey guys. A few friends and I want to book a charter in the first, maybe second weekend of September. I know that salmon will be staging outside of the tributaries by that point, but was wondering if this is too late in the season to find any chrome colored kings that will still be good to eat? If it is, we'll just have to look towards the mid of august, but I wanted some opinions from the vets. We'd still be interested in going out if steelhead, browns, and lake trout are going hard, but chinook/coho is our main target.

Thanks!

Edited by J O

1 hour ago, J O said:

Hey guys. A few friends and I want to book a charter in the first, maybe second weekend of September. I know that salmon will be staging outside of the tributaries by that point, but was wondering if this is too late in the season to find any chrome colored kings that will still be good to eat? If it is, we'll just have to look towards the mid of august, but I wanted some opinions from the vets. We'd still be interested in going out if steelhead, browns, and lake trout are going hard, but chinook/coho is our main target.

Thanks!

Sept is kind of late for silver fish most years but you can still find Bronze fish that still have nicely colored good eating meat. The deep water 2 year olds are still dime bright silver.

Most years we have plenty of Browns in Mexico Bay in Sept and nobody is chasing them.

Edited by spoonfed-1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Spoon said:

If you don't want to fight stagers, ask your captain to go offshore for 2-yr old Kings and steelhead

Hmm makes sense. Appreciate the input.

26 minutes ago, spoonfed-1 said:

Sept is kind of late for silver fish most years but you can still find Bronze fish that still have nicely colored good eating meat. The deep water 2 year olds are still dime bright silver.

Most years we have plenty of Browns in Mexico Bay in Sept and nobody is chasing them.

Good to know. I'll have to see if I can find a charter that would know to head out deeper during that time, because the 2 that I called today were instead trying to get me to go in July/early August.. but i can't get everyone to go out then.

3 hours ago, spoonfed-1 said:

What area of the lake are you going to fish?

Find a charter from Rochester to the West and tell them you don't want darkies. Tell them to take you offshore for Kings and Steel. At the Oak we have the shortest run to that water. We're booked out for the season, but I can offer some referrals if you want to fish out of there.

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 1

IMG_3079.JPG.

BUT, if you did want  GENETIC ARMY “ Darkies”   this was me and the wives two years back on Yankee Troller for fun.

Jerry.

RUNNIN REBEL

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL
  • Like 1

Andy Todd from Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources  said their data indicates the salmon basically start living off themselves and going off the feed in early August, so if you want large salmon to eat, you are better going now until the end of the month.  Eating quality of non feeding fish declines a little more each day.  That said, I have seen silver kings ascending the Salmon River in late august, and they smoked up fine.  And the decline in eating quality seems to accelerate the closer to spawning and the longer they have not been feeding, so brighter fish in early September will still be edible, but as Capt Rich says, out deeper for younger fish will provide better eating. 

On 7/1/2019 at 3:54 PM, RUNNIN REBEL said:

IMG_3079.JPG.

BUT, if you did want  GENETIC ARMY “ Darkies”   this was me and the wives two years back on Yankee Troller for fun.

Jerry.

RUNNIN REBEL

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Wives? 1 wife is enough for me!🤪

• Like 1