Line twisting around downrigger cable.

So I am using blacks releases. I have been downrigger fishing for 15 years. So I know how to attach to the release. In two of the last three trips my line has been twisted around the cable and would not ever realise if a fish hit . The only thing different is I have a new boat and have upgraded my downriggers to the high-speed STX mag tens. Is something happening when the downrigger ball goes down so fast. Or is it just a coincidence

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

check the swivels  on the blacks make sure they are able to spin free if one is stuck your release could do a slow spin with the cable even while the weight stays straight.  

the cable is made up of small strands twisted together so there is always some inherent twist in it and it can rotate as it goes up and down. if the release swivel is fused or a piece of dirt in there or just stuck than you can have issues.  only takes one turn to cause problems.   

sounds far fetched but i had it happen so now if i ever get a twist in anything I always check the swivel.  

Instead of dropping mechanically with the switch, you can go slower by loosening the clutch.  Give that a shot and go down slowly.  If you are still getting twisted, move to plan B and look into what ifhishy suggested.

14 hours ago, fishinfreak said:

So I am using blacks releases. I have been downrigger fishing for 15 years. So I know how to attach to the release. In two of the last three trips my line has been twisted around the cable and would not ever realise if a fish hit . The only thing different is I have a new boat and have upgraded my downriggers to the high-speed STX mag tens. Is something happening when the downrigger ball goes down so fast. Or is it just a coincidence

Typically happens if you drop the balls down to fast ... think it basically pulls your line almost vertical, and the paddle starts twirling around the cable.  Drop them slower and you should be alright.

Thanks to all again. So how does adding another swivel stop the issue of it going down too fast. It seems to me it's going down so fast with the short lead off the ball that the line then becomes parallel with the cable. I believe that is when my tangle is happening. I'm running Scotty snubbers and no Breakaway cable on the prob rigger . It is very annoying I never had this issue with my original mag 10s

this can happen if you drop a ball too fast when you have a paddle and fly on a short lead. the line gets pulled down by the ball vertically and the paddle will spin at high rate and wrap around your cable

drop the ball slower or use longer lead or stop and go to let the paddle string out behind your ball and rigger cable

Did you read the directions?

Thanks to all again. So how does adding another swivel stop the issue of it going down too fast. It seems to me it's going down so fast with the short lead off the ball that the line then becomes parallel with the cable. I believe that is when my tangle is happening. I'm running Scotty snubbers and no Breakaway cable on the prob rigger . It is very annoying I never had this issue with my original mag 10s

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Did you read the directions?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you are referring to the directions for my Fishhawk. Then yes I did read the directions. It actually states that the double swivel is only rated for 12 lb. So when I called Fishhawk they recommend using snubber with anything that heavier. I am running 16 pound shark weights. Other than that I'm not sure what directions you are referring to