Registration or documentation?

This is probably a dumb question, but if you have a certificate of documentation through the coast guard, do you need to get the boat registered as well? I wouldn't be shocked if the state wanted the money but its kinda stupid to have to register it if I paid $600 to the coast guard to have it documented. Anyone got an answer? I fish lake Ontario and the boat winters over there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It does not cost 600.00 to have it Documented unless your paying a third party. It is less than 100.00 for the initial Doc. then it around 25.00 per year when you renew it yearly. The paper work can be downloaded on there Web site and it usually takes 2-8 weeks. As long as you have proof [ copy of what you sent in ]  that you sent paperwork in and your stopped by the law before your get your Doc paper work and hull number they will not write up  for that infraction. I have one boat that was documented when I bought it and when I went to the DMV to have it registered as well they would not let me register it. They called Albany and doubled checked  while I stood there and said it does not have to be registered as long as it was Doc. Now I have heard/read where some people say it also has to be registered ,just stating what happened to me. When you Doc it they keep your Certificate of Title and your Doc papers replace the C of T.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

My original was $595, but i don't have to pay yearly to renew, just an application then they send it. I have my boat documented but the owner before me had it documented and the small registration sticker on the port side.

It does not cost 600.00 to have it Documented unless your paying a third party. It is less than 100.00 for the initial Doc. then it around 25.00 per year when you renew it yearly. The paper work can be downloaded on there Web site and it usually takes 2-8 weeks. As long as you have proof [ copy of what you sent in ]  that you sent paperwork in and your stopped by the law before your get your Doc paper work and hull number they will not write up  for that infraction. I have one boat that was documented when I bought it and when I went to the DMV to have it registered as well they would not let me register it. They called Albany and doubled checked  while I stood there and said it does not have to be registered as long as it was Doc. Now I have heard/read where some people say it also has to be registered ,just stating what happened to me. When you Doc it they keep your Certificate of Title and your Doc papers replace the C of T.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Someone dragged you over the coals for 595 and it wasn't the USCG.   I have been paying a yearly fee like everybody else that has a boat Documented. They do now offer a option now where you can pay a few years in advance but not lifetime. Call the DMV if your unsure about the Registration fee . I assume you do not have a Title for the boat, just what the USCG sent you , correct ?

Edited by Bozeman Bob

When it’s documented and you take the boat out of the country you have additional rights on the boat that you would not have if it was just registered with a state. Also it’s easier for other countries to know who you are when you enter foreign waters. Yes it still needs to be registered with a state sticker even though it’s documented.