Cannon vs. Scotty downriggers

After ten years away from Lake Ontario fishing due to medical issues caused by Lyme disease, I'm back with a new boat that I need to set up with downriggers. On my previous boat I ran Cannon Marlin HP electrics, circa early 1990's, which I had no problems with after getting the touchpad issues replaced under warranty. Now days I'm hearing that Cannon products aren't the same after the company was sold and the warranty isn't as solid as before. I was a diehard Cannon guy, but I've been told by two or three fishermen whose opinions and experience I trust that Scotty downriggers are the way to go. I would appreciate hearing the pros and cons of both from folks who are have been using them. I don't mind spending the big bucks for quality products as long as they're going to hold up and last for several years, at least.

When I was in the market for riggers this past spring to replace my tired, worn out older mag 10's those were the 2 brands I considered. I looked at the Scottys at the fishing expo in Niagara and was impressed. I liked the tilt up feature, the clutch/brake, and they seemed easier to jog upward by pressing a button vs the Cannons tend to want to "auto" up like a car window when you push the switch up.

Ended up buying a lightly used set of Cannon Stx's from a member here that were just a couple seasons old and in great shape for a darn good price. They seem BETTER built to me than those they replaced and not just because they were old. They made the old ones look like toys.

Probably wont go wrong with either brand. If I had bought new they would have been Scottys. Glad to hear you are doing better and able to get back out there and fish.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just bought a pair of magnums
Received them last week, used them briefly over the weekend.
Need to use more for a better review but they seem great quality .

They swivel smooth .

The boom locks down and pull a pin and the boom goes up and locks with a pin also.

Clutch/ drag is smooth as well.

Everything is aluminum or stainless, I believe that's on the website as well.

Website says 2 weeks. Try 4 weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Look at the videos they have on you tube. I believe there's a link on the website.

There's a black knob on the side off the spool, tighten that up till it holds your weight.
There is a shock spring installed on the cable above the ball to help with cushioning the sudden stop
When the ball is retrieved ,and it's the boom the clutch keeps spinning until you turn it off.
Everything is very smooth .

Clutch is like a drag on your reel for example

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have fished both extensively. The Scotties are just bullet proof and simple to use, but a little slower on the retrieve. They take up a lot of space on the gunwhale or the corners of the boat. The Cannons are faster coming up and are smaller on the boat. They both are hard on the lower back if setting and resetting a lot like fishing lake trout on a charter. If I had the space, I would probably run the Scotties. Due to the longevity of them. If I was setting up a smaller personal boat, I think the Cannons are a better choice.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 7/1/2019 at 10:35 PM, Crestliner1850 said:

The only thing I didn't understand about the spec is ''and a liquid smooth clutch which eliminates need for auto stop'' 

I think they're implying the clutch won't grind or whine when the ball reaches the boat. That's nice and all, but you still need to turn off the retrieve. It's nice just setting and forgetting (with auto stop).

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 11:03 PM, Crestliner1850 said:

Sorry nickyhoyboy I didn't want to interrupt your post. I have two cannon magnum 5 and they're not smooth at all. I would like to change them for models with different speed options or at least the slow start and finish when moving the weight. 

Crestliner - Nor do I want to hijack the post - but curious.  I have two mag 5's.  Like the size since I run a 19' Key West.  but.  One year in, they are full of water and short out.  Closest place to get service is fairhaven.  Wondering id a $400 rigger is worth service or the car ride.  Have you ever had or heard of that problem.  I replaced some old mag10's that had to have 20 years on them.  The wiring was getting old, blowing fuses and were dead slow coming up from 100'.  No I wish I would have just rebuilt the mag 10's

9 hours ago, HolyDiver said:

Crestliner - Nor do I want to hijack the post - but curious.  I have two mag 5's.  Like the size since I run a 19' Key West.  but.  One year in, they are full of water and short out.  Closest place to get service is fairhaven.  Wondering id a $400 rigger is worth service or the car ride.  Have you ever had or heard of that problem.  I replaced some old mag10's that had to have 20 years on them.  The wiring was getting old, blowing fuses and were dead slow coming up from 100'.  No I wish I would have just rebuilt the mag 10's

I've had mine for three years and never had that problem. Obviously yours weren't sealed properly. Don't remember the cannon warranty but If I had to put money on my mag 5 I'd rather put that money on magnum-metalz.  

• 3 weeks later...

There is a man in Dunkirk NY that is authorized repair and warranty repair for Cannon and a few other companies. He upgraded my 30 plus year old mag 10 A's and they are great. Scary fast on upward retrieve. Even the swivel bases lasted that long. I do not charter but I fish alot

Ditto on the Magnum Metalz. Built to last. No plastic.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Do a search here Scotty downriggers and one on cannon look at number of posts on repair option/problems and used sales Talk to reputable repair shops and see what repair parts are sold I love my Scotty’s that have seen close to 3000 hrs fishing with no problems other than cable maintenance and that is 4 separate riggers

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the input on both, actually all, sides of my question. The info is great and helped me make the decision to go with the Scottys, although I feel like i would have been happy with either choice. I bought a pair of Scotty 2116's from Fish307 during their "Better Than Prime Day Sale", so now I have my work cut out for me mounting them and wiring them on my Aquasport Explorer 225, which I'm actually looking forward to, then the long drag from southern NJ to Lake O
. Can't wait, it's been a long time and I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to do it again physically, but here we go. 

Thanks again, guys!

Aquasport 225 Explorer.jpg

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the input on both, actually all, sides of my question. The info is great and helped me make the decision to go with the Scottys, although I feel like i would have been happy with either choice. I bought a pair of Scotty 2116's from Fish307 during their "Better Than Prime Day Sale", so now I have my work cut out for me mounting them and wiring them on my Aquasport Explorer 225, which I'm actually looking forward to, then the long drag from southern NJ to Lake O
. Can't wait, it's been a long time and I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to do it again physically, but here we go. 
Thanks again, guys!
813938410_Aquasport225Explorer.thumb.jpg.91b8f990f40d2c8cecc274cc25368637.jpg
That sure is a nice ride.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Alumacraft205. No need to worry about wiring the downriggers, 40 years in the construction trades and boating, so I've seen a whole lot of what NOT to do when it comes to workmanship, and cutting corners isn't in my nature, especially when it comes to my fishing, since that time is so precious to me. I also fish saltwater here in NJ and, trust me, you can't believe how fast crappy work, especially anything electrical, is destroyed just by adding a little salt. I always joked that when I was fishing in Lake Ontario I was fishing in water cleaner than what I washed by boat off with at home. Can't wait to wash my boat in L.O.!

• 2 weeks later...