dipsy spread

rougarou

Same size have settings 2 numbers apart- inside at 1 outside at 3.  Deploy slowly together.  Works well with 8’ rod inside and 10’ rod outside.  Keep your spread “square” - if you have strong currents sliding your spread just run one.

580's advice is good.  on calm days I have ran 3 per side.  1 setting magnum dipsy,  2 setting standard dipsy and a 3 setting standard dipsy.   watch your turns or you can have a real mess. 

• Like 1

Downriggers.  If you don’t have them and where just going to run divers I’d still suggest you kept your divers directional.  If you tangle divers major mess.  Better bet would be a 10 color down the chute than a diver at 0 IMO.  Where are you looking to fish walleye?  Sounds like you might be looking at a Lake Erie trip.

I run 3 divers on each side on erie all the time with one rigger off each back corner. for 1 or even 2 divers run them out the side at 90 degree angle. but the front diver can be set a little higher if your running 2. set the inside diver on 1 and the front one on 3. run longer leads on the front diver. to let the front diver out over the back diver just start out on the other side of the boat at the back but not far enough to tangle the other lines. start letting the line out slow. usually the clicker is enough. if you still get tangles while letting them out your probably still going out to fast. let it out until your past the other diver and about 15' from desired lenth. then lift rod up and over back rod put in holder and lock reel down. most linecounter reels has a small knob on side to adjust tension on clicker.

if you want to run 3 divers at a 1 a 2 and 3 setting. just keep 15 or 20 shorter leads on the back divers. 100' on the front at a 3 setting 80 or 85 on the middle diver set on 2 and 65 or 70 on the back diver on a 1 setting.

Edited by sherman brown

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, EsoxOnly said:

Would a jet diver be a good idea for running the chute rod straight down off the stern? I'm not that experienced with them but it seems that they would fit the bill.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I used TrueTrips (like a Jet) on Erie. They have a trip mechanism like a dipsy to make the retrieve easier.. The 50 size certainly would get you down pretty deep, but I have never tried them for Salmon.

• Like 1