Sodus Pt lake trout

Have been fishing Seneca lake with little to no success for lakers and I’m not equipped for salmon. Can anyone point me in a direction for lakers? Where do they typically hang out around the sodus area. thanks in advance!!

Edited by Grand Slam11

Seneca has been super slow, haven't done the laker tourney the last few years because of it. I took the girls out Saturday afternoon for a short trol and picked up one small lake on copper in 90ft and a small brown on the trigger down 30ft all in front of Sampson. All had a great time but five years ago we would have boasted 20 fish and just picked a few to keep. Times have changed and I also moved on to lake Ontario. 25160.jpeg25161.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There are a lot of big Lakers out in 130 - 160' straight out of I-Bay and are pretty easy to catch using big flasher/flies, flasher/meat or cowbells/gambler rigs.

I took my girlfriends son out a couple days ago for a couple hour salmon run after work and dropped the flasher meat down a few times to the Lakers to fill in

the slower moments. Picked up one 12.3 and one 12.7. Both would have made the LOC board...for a short time. Threw them back because I didn't have enough

time to go weigh them in. Good luck. 

58371464171__435A5512-11FF-4C63-B5D3-199DA10B9A6C.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

Have been fishing Seneca lake with little to no success for lakers and I’m not equipped for salmon. Can anyone point me in a direction for lakers? Where do they typically hang out around the sodus area. thanks in advance!!

The laker fishing out of Sodus in late March through early May is usually good. I never specifically targeted them from June on, but have only caught one 14” in the last 6 years (using the same setups through the same areas).

I agree with the other guy about Cayuga. You can catch as many lakers as you want, and they are generally not too picky. Plenty of big boys around too! Launch out of Taughannock and head whatever direction you like. I prefer straight down the middle in 300’+ for the bigger fish, but tend to get the bigger bows and lls around the 150’ drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 hours ago, TheToadHunter said:

The laker fishing out of Sodus in late March through early May is usually good. I never specifically targeted them from June on, but have only caught one 14” in the last 6 years (using the same setups through the same areas).

I agree with the other guy about Cayuga. You can catch as many lakers as you want, and they are generally not too picky. Plenty of big boys around too! Launch out of Taughannock and head whatever direction you like. I prefer straight down the middle in 300’+ for the bigger fish, but tend to get the bigger bows and lls around the 150’ drops.

Are the cayuga lakers good eating?

Would you be willing to expand on the canning?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

As with most foods, proper preparation from the start. For canning fish, immediately after landing them, bleed them out. When dragging fish during the bleed-out process, shake the rope to keep the blood flowing out the gills. Depending on the species and laws, we will fillet them on the boat or just place them on ice.

IMHO, the most important part in processing any fish is to cut out all of the dark lateral line meat. Usually, a simple V cut along the entire line does the trick. If you fillet the meat off too close to the skin, the entire skin side of the fillet may be covered in dark meat. Take it off. Sacrifice a little meat to save the rest.

After that, it’s stupid easy. Cut the fillets into 1/2” - 1 1/2” cubes, pack them into canning jars with the DRY seasoning of choice, and pressure can them for about 90 minutes. That’s it.

Old Bay, Dill and Lemon Pepper are our favorites. We layer the fish/seasonings, but shaking the cubes and seasoning in a bag works too (like pork chops).

If your job of clearing the lateral line meat was up to par, there won’t be a fish taste like canned tuna 🤮 , and you won’t have to buy canned tuna ever again.