Fly harness issue

I’ve been fishing flies with good results on Cayuga the past couple weeks and have a question regarding the fly harnesses. Last week I had a break off with the treble and brought it up and it looked like it had unraveled. I figured I’d done something wrong here but just chalked it up to bad luck. I changed it out and double checked everything. This morning it happens again, where the treble breaks off on another fish so I got a picture. I check the line each morning when I set my spread and check the harness each fish for nicks, etc. Is it common to go through harnesses often? Is it normal to have the treble break off/unravel? The fly is an atommik hammer fly which has caught a lot for us on Cayuga lately. Thanks for your advice.

58350531127__AFD34775-8B64-4F51-B28B-6FD9BF134ED3.jpgIMG_2850.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I think they’re 50#. I should probably have asked the question more about the issue of the break or unraveling happening specifically at the treble. I know our tackle gets beat up, chewed up, etc., but this just seemed odd for it to unravel multiple times within a few fish. I’ll pick up some more spares in the meantime.

There are a few types of snell knots, some wrapped around the hook shank and held tight by pressure, another version called a "locking snell" I use the latter, never had one come unwrapped. There is a video on the Fish Doctor website showing how to tie a tournament tie using the locking snell.  It's very easy to do. I tie my own with 50lb. flouro.

Edited by J.D.

JD,
I’ll give a shot at tying some with the different knot on the treble. That’s definitely where the issue is. It’s unwrapping, and both times it happened it was immediately after bigger fish. Thanks for the help.

I know a snell knot looks cool and all but a simple palomar or clinch works just fine and it gives you more room to grab the shank of the hook with pliers if the hook is deep and not knick the line with the pliers while removing the hook ..but yes that video is a great snell knot

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

Thanks, everyone. I’ll try a couple different ways. I think hitting the snell with the pliers may have also been an issue, at least in one instance- didn’t even cross my mind until now.

Got to watch it 

If you look at Flouro crosseyed it can compromise and weaken it dramatically . 

Also it's stiff and the people tying the harnesses maybe don't take the time they should to crank down on it . 

Might be best out of the package to hook the bend of the hook on something and pull on the line hard to seat the knot . 

• Like 1