STATE OF LAKE 3/14 RIT NOTES

Can't write as fast as I used to so I'm sure I missed some of it but here's my best shot:

VHS rule changes

1. No limit on possession of number of baitfish

2. No motorized transport w/o permit or receipt of purchase

3. Water body defined as lake and all tribs to impassible barrier

PROPOSED REGS:

1. Sale of trout eggs from angling to be illegal statewide. (not salmon eggs) plus a 1 quart limit on the water (shoreline). (you can have a freezer full at home but no more than one quart where you’re fishing) Cleaning of fish on banks ok but disposal comes under another law. (the 100 ft rule)

2. Banning eggs of all species for chumming. (trying to protect Rainbows & BTs)

3. Prohibit “running or shootingâ€Â

I did a little research on those red mysid that are in the lake. To me, they don't sound all that bad. It looks like it will be a food source for bass, perch and browns. If you are bored, do a Google search on Red Mysid.

The red shrimp will inhabit warmer and shallower water than the native shrimp which are having a problem now days. I'm really wondering and wishfully hoping that the alewives will pick up on them and shift back in towards shore.

DEC is on the fence. "They might be bad, they might be good."

Tom B.

(LongLine)

From what I read about the new shrimp is that they don't like direct sunlight and swarm in shadows or under docks, etc. I don't think they live in open deep water( too bad as steelhead would probably love them). Maybee in the spring the color red will be hot. Not that it already isn't. At least we will have jumbo perch that are shrimp fed. That gives me an idea for the cooking section. - Mick