Flies, not the fish catching kind.

1 hour ago, lrg355 said:

I find that deet doesn't work very well on them. Been using Sawyer
Products with Picaridin. Seems to work better on them. Available at Gander.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ditto.
Started using it for the biting flies in New Hampshire and found it works well on Lake Ontario too. Just have to respray every few hours.

I thought DEET gives us all cancer. But when them suckers start feasting on that little rubbery thing behind your knee or that knobby thing on the side of your ankle cancers a viable option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don’t know about that Joe, but when they start feasting, you damn near want to jump in the water........

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Go to a farm store, they sell a fly spray that kills instantly, used in barns. It comes in spray cans, I use it and instantly no more flys. Just can’t remember the name has a picture of a barn on front.

Go to a farm store, they sell a fly spray that kills instantly, used in barns. It comes in spray cans, I use it and instantly no more flys. Just can’t remember the name has a picture of a barn on front.

That is for horses not humans. The active ingredients are carcinogens and highly toxic to any aquatic critters , fish , frogs and everything else. Read the can. It states not to be used around water Last I knew , most fishing is done around water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Back to the original question. I cant remember these flies 30+ years ago. To be answered by old timers only!

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We had a camp on N Sandy Pond and I remember the little ankle biters from back then. That was in the late 70’s and early 80’s They do seem to be more numerous. And I still have to wonder how they manage to fly that distance 15 miles off shore doesn’t seem to bother them at all. By the way , they are stable flies

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was fishing with my 3 brothers last weekend when the flies hit us hard. Between the slapping and jumping it looked like a Hootenanny. Seriously though, we tried some Deep Woods Off the next trip, rubbing in on real good, and it helped a lot.

Buggspray absolutely works. Apply as often as they start biting after the last spray( about 2-3 hrs). I think tractor supply has it and I know you can order it on amazon. They have been around as long as I have been fishing LO,although way back I didn’t know you could catch them except for when they were stacking near the river in September and they were long gone by then 

I am allergic to stable fly bites, get red hives that blister and pop.  Anyone in same boat I have a regimen that provides relief....   Clean the bites 1st with rubbing alcohol (key step).  Then benadryl cream and cortisone cream (or stronger if you have script).  If you have to work the next day have a few drinks before bed.  If you dont have to work take a few Benadryl pills or just plan on not sleeping for a week.

They have to be the smartest flies ever.  Once you get up to reel in a fish or just change up lures, those damn things know your hands are full and they just go to town on your legs.  They are savage.  

11 hours ago, cabezon99 said:

I am allergic to stable fly bites, get red hives that blister and pop.  Anyone in same boat I have a regimen that provides relief....   Clean the bites 1st with rubbing alcohol (key step).  Then benadryl cream and cortisone cream (or stronger if you have script).  If you have to work the next day have a few drinks before bed.  If you dont have to work take a few Benadryl pills or just plan on not sleeping for a week.

Have this all over my ankles and feet. Never thought these reactions would happen! thanks for the tip

two years ago my wife and I were going fishing with a few friends. I took a shower with a green bar of irish sping soap right before we left. the flys would land on me and take off every one else got bite up. The soap helps but not for long  maybe someone try it and see 

I pulled my socks up my ankles like 1970's style to help protect my ankles and chins and they were biting right through my socks, those little bastards are wicked!! There must be gazillions of them out there...

I wonder why they fly so far out over the water rather than stay on land, besides to feast on us?  As another poster said, they are smart, as soon as you are defenseless from working on a bite or gear I get swarmed on. They are very hardy too, as I wacked them with a fly swatter they didn't die very easy...