Yet another question about sonar

Way back when I was in the Navy I was stationed in SC. There I had a boat and fished my butt off. When I would troll at depths of about 150ft and 10 knots SOW I could still see my ball on my sonar. Today, I have a 17ft aluminum with lowrance hook2 splitshot.  I can not see my ball on the sonar down 50 feet trolling 2.5 mph SOG.  I checked my transducer alignment, sensitivity settings....what am I missing? 

On 7/6/2019 at 1:46 PM, dhhurlburt said:

Way back when I was in the Navy I was stationed in SC. There I had a boat and fished my butt off. When I would troll at depths of about 150ft and 10 knots SOW I could still see my ball on my sonar. Today, I have a 17ft aluminum with lowrance hook2 splitshot.  I can not see my ball on the sonar down 50 feet trolling 2.5 mph SOG.  I checked my transducer alignment, sensitivity settings....what am I missing? 

Is it CHIRP? What frequency are you running it on?

40 minutes ago, dhhurlburt said:

Yes chirp, not positive of the frequency.

That's most likely your problem. CHIRP frequencies are about half the cone angle of traditional sonar.

19 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

What size/shape rigger balls are you using? Heavier weights in torpedo shape will cutdown on blowback and could help bring the balls back into your sonar cone.

Good point. I did some testing on weights a few weeks ago. Torpedo style weights and Shark weights seem to leave a better sound signature on your FF than pancake weights. Balls leave a good signature, but their blunt face makes them vulnerable to more blow back.

1 hour ago, dhhurlburt said:

10 pound ball, I was considering torpedo to eliminate blowback thinking it would bring it into my cone.

I used to run 10lb pancakes and was never able to mark the balls below 50ft... switched to 12lb torpedos and I'm good down to 90ft now. Same sonar unit for both setups.

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2019 at 7:26 AM, yank my line said:

I think that sonar has dual frequencies. Switch to 83 degree for a wider cone angle

I'd give this a try. The 200 khz cone angle is VERY narrow and if reduced by the CHIRP could explain the problem. The 83 khz setting has a much wider cone angle and should show your weight under normal trolling speeds