Sandy Creek Launch

Monroe County Planning sent a representative to the Fisheries Advisory Board meeting last night, and the board (or the few that were there, it is always hard to get a quorum in summer) and Matt Sanderson of NYSDEC all agreed that from the Fishing Community perspective, the number one needed improvement was to update the lake shore launch facilities so that they are adaptable not only to the "new Highs" but also to the possible lower lows we can see when the uplakes supply drops and we don't have record rains in the spring.  It was noted that many of the private marina facilities are still doing a lot of launch business because they have invested in floating docks, while all the fixed docks at Public launches are virtually unusable and the launches are closed and off limits even if someone want to use their chest waders to access their boat.  We'll see what happens.

Edited by Lucky13

Good to hear, that they at least recognize there is an issue. Some of the private launch fee prices I’ve heard are outrageously high, like they know it’s supply & demand. Which is truly sad, I’m a snow contractor & I know when we have had nasty storms (mainly buffalo) & contractors pulled that (by us) the state nailed them

to a cross (fined the crap out of them, made them give refunds, etc). Interested to know why that isn’t the case now.

16 hours ago, mike fronczak said:

Good to hear, that they at least recognize there is an issue. Some of the private launch fee prices I’ve heard are outrageously high, like they know it’s supply & demand. Which is truly sad, I’m a snow contractor & I know when we have had nasty storms (mainly buffalo) & contractors pulled that (by us) the state nailed them

to a cross (fined the crap out of them, made them give refunds, etc). Interested to know why that isn’t the case now.

Its in the numbers. Snowplowing is population wide while launching boats is a much smaller group

50 minutes ago, wishinfishin said:

Where are the Danielli ramps located???

They got the contract from the Town of Greece to run the Launch and marina at Braddock Bay State Marine Park, as it is listed in the DEC Boat launch guide.  My recollection is that they wanted $14 to launch.  Yer NYS Tax dollars hard at work!  In their defense they invested a lot of money into the marina, but this really does nothing for the weekend warrior who is getting nailed with the high daily price.  Braddocks is definitely a place for a NYS Boat launch, but I would like one like Sandy that does not enrich a local businessman and a local municipality, as  the Launch does here, and in Irondequoit.  Boaters and fishermen pay lots of "user fees" and then get charged again to use what they payed to build to begin with.

They got the contract from the Town of Greece to run the Launch and marina at Braddock Bay State Marine Park, as it is listed in the DEC Boat launch guide.  My recollection is that they wanted $14 to launch.  Yer NYS Tax dollars hard at work!  In their defense they invested a lot of money into the marina, but this really does nothing for the weekend warrior who is getting nailed with the high daily price.  Braddocks is definitely a place for a NYS Boat launch, but I would like one like Sandy that does not enrich a local businessman and a local municipality, as  the Launch does here, and in Irondequoit.  Boaters and fishermen pay lots of "user fees" and then get charged again to use what they payed to build to begin with.

Something is very wrong in NeW York State!!!!! 480,000 trailer boats with sales taxes, registration fees, fuel taxes, etc. Is a
Lot of boaters money squandered somewhere????

$9bucks on weekdays $14 for weekends. Oh and make sure you pay before you launch or else they will put a wheel lock on your trailer and try to milk you for more $

It was only my 2nd time launching there under new owners and i missed the kiosk in the dark. there was nobody there to pay a launch fee to and had every intention of paying when we returned....the Wheel lock on my trailer really left a bad taste in my mouth. unfortunately there are very limited options in Monroe county this year.

Yeah thought it was pricey at Braddock Bay, last time I was there when we were pulling out there were two guys from the marina sort of directing traffic. It was still a cluster though, people pulling just out of the water to tie down and launching then putting stuff in the boat. Also they were not moving their boats to the end of the dock so another person could launch. I figured for the price they would have it together there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 7/10/2019 at 7:38 PM, dukhnter8 said:

Yeah thought it was pricey at Braddock Bay, last time I was there when we were pulling out there were two guys from the marina sort of directing traffic. It was still a cluster though, people pulling just out of the water to tie down and launching then putting stuff in the boat. Also they were not moving their boats to the end of the dock so another person could launch. I figured for the price they would have it together there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I noticed that last weekend when we were there, we pulled around the loop to get the boat ready(about 3-5 minutes maximum) and some guy pulls right in and backs up to the launch and starts prepping his boat. We went to the other side and launched and in the time it took us to launch the boat, warm it up while my friend parked the truck and pull away (probably 10 minutes) that guy was just getting his boat in the water. It was ridiculous and really disappointing to see a fellow fisherman me be so rude but Possibly he was just really dumb

I use to manage this site and other region 8 launches when I worked for the state.  The only solution is to revamp the launching area, ramp and docks.  T he turn around area would have to be raised a foot or more to prevent its flooding. With the extreme diiference in water levels. The ramp needs to be extended to meet the new turn around area without changing the slope of the ramp (13 1/2% to 15 1/2% slope). Or replaced entirely.  the docks would be the same, revamped or replaced. they need to be removed in the winter due to the massive ice flow in the spring.  talking lots of bucks.   

The USACE permit wouldn't be that big of a deal between the DEC and USACE and that's not how mitigation works. I'd argue minimal wetland impacts would accrue due to a new delineation taking into account a higher ordinary water mark incorporating the cattail coverage. The show stopper is $$.