The ADK is great for camping and hiking. In the early 70s it was still great for fishing, You might catch 40 bass in 3 days if you fished it hard. By the 80's that all changed. If it were still as good, fisherman would come. By the way fisherman normally take pictures of the good ones, so I don't think it's asking much to post a picture. Even in the St Lawrence you will not catch 40 legal size bass in 3 days and the St Lawrence is the best bass fishery in New York.  50 years ago I remember seeing stringers with multiple pike(3-4) over 30 inches long being hauled over to fish cleaning stations every day in the St. Lawrence. You don't see that happening today anywhere in the St Lawrence, so what was isn't what is today. Same goes for the ADK only more so.

Edited by fishlover

So those of us who still catch lots of fish, don’t bother with redundant photos or even taking the fish out of the water most of the time, and catch more fish now then we did in the early 70’s, the peak of the acid rain problems and the period before programs like the Land Locked Salmon stocking began, don’t know what we are talking about?  Actually the hiking trails up there are more crowded than ever, and I don’t bother with camping if there is no fishing involved, but it is a lot harder to find a tent site for the weekend now than it was in the 70’s.  Maybe there are not so many fish under your bridge because you kept so many, and so few bass because they got over-manhandled for photos.  So sorry that whatever part of the mountains you fish has declined so much when the rest of us are finding an excellent fishery in one of the most beautiful areas of the NE.   And I am amazed at your ability to characterize the fishing in the largest contiguous Park in the USA outside Alaska in a couple of sentences.  It took Spyder Rybak a complete book, and it is, to my great relief, very sketchy and leaves out lots of (my favorite) spots!  Watch yer head when you crawl back under yer bridge.

• Like 1

Anybody know who that dog is ? 

Here are a few pics from past trips . 

Dude , you ain't got a clue . 

Pre goby we use to go to fair haven and drift the lake . 

One morning by noon we boasted over 200  bass . And we had many trips like that for many years . There were 5 of us on the boat and my father had a scorecard . I think I landed 53 . And most were keepers . Up to 18" 

I know some of those ADK lakes  there like the back of my hand. I know right where to go and where to cast . I have a " milk run " .  I might catch 7 to 10 fish off one spot but in Saranac , a lot are small . Do that a few times in a mornings fishing and that's 20  bass.  

Just because you can't catch them ,don't think others can't . 

KIMG0485.jpg

KIMG0545.jpg

KIMG0483.jpg

KIMG0307.jpg

KIMG0297.jpg

KIMG0490.jpg

KIMG0259.jpg

7 minutes ago, fishlover said:
  •  
LOU_member.png.545271670615af6a2872a38e639feb6d.png

One morning by noon we boasted over 200  bass . And we had many trips like that for many years . There were 5 of us on the boat and my father had a scorecard . I think I landed 53 . And most were keepers .

fair haven is not in the ADK so you are comparing apples to oranges. Not even the bass master elites pull in 40 bass in 1/2 day and they spend thousands of dollars trying and lots of hours of practice. Certainly not in the ADK!

I've fished fair haven 50 years ago and you might catch 30 strawberry bass in a full day if you worked at it.

But the strawberry bass are pretty much extinct and the rest don't bite nearly as much today It is what it is.

Fishing all over the country has declined in most waters over the past 50 years, but the ADK has really suffered. Not sure why anyone would need to mention the ADK on a 1000 islands forum either, as the 1000 islands is superior in every way.

Just now, fishlover said:

One morning by noon we boasted over 200  bass . And we had many trips like that for many years . There were 5 of us on the boat and my father had a scorecard . I think I landed 53 . And most were keepers .

fair haven is not in the ADK so you are comparing apples to oranges. Not even the bass master elites pull in 40 bass in 1/2 day and they spend thousands of dollars trying and lots of hours of practice. Certainly not in the ADK!

I've fished fair haven 50 years ago and you might catch 30 strawberry bass in a full day if you worked at it.

But the strawberry bass are pretty much extinct and the rest don't bite nearly as much today It is what it is.

Fishing all over the country has declined in most waters over the past 50 years, but the ADK has really suffered. Not sure why anyone would need to mention the ADK on a 1000 islands forum either, as the 1000 islands is superior in every way.

Edited by fishlover

8 hours ago, fishlover said:

Lol! Reason #1 to fish the ADK is the solitude. Reason #2 is the atmosphere. Reason # way down the list is the fishing. That having been said, if you're willing to put in the time (and get up before the sun in the summer), you can find remarkably solid bites. More days than not I can generate a couple dozen hits before breakfast, running and gunning  points. And I've never had ANY competition. The fish are generally on the small side, but if that's your main concern, you want to go somewhere else for sure. Since the water quality has recovered, there's been an influx of bass taking over former trout lakes, which has really ticked some people off. But there are good and great fisheries in the ADK...and I'm not going to argue if most folks think that the 1000 islands are superior in every way. Different strokes for different folks. I will argue though that fishing has declined everywhere. I think that we are living in a golden age, myself. And I appreciate every day of it.

The bass did not take over the trout lakes.  People moved the bass.  They dominate the lake or pond eating down the available food, and the small trout, but, because of the long cold winters, and colder temperatures of these water bodies,  they don't get big.  Trout ponds and lakes are NOT bass habitat, and just because someone likes to fish for bass does not give them the right to  "convert" a water body to their personal preference.  Lots of good bass lakes around, leave the trout lakes alone. 

It amazes,me the amount of stupidity I read on here 

Sitting at the Lumberjack eating breakfast on the way out . 4 days off the grid boys weekend . 

Probably landed 30 pike biggest 37 " 

40 bass most keepers to 21 "" 

More pics to follow after my friends  send them to me of their phones and camara . 

The less people I see up here the better . 

KIMG0833.jpg

I couldn't agree more with Gator's take on ADK fishing. Let me add that it's not just the warmwater fishery, let's not forget the trout and salmon fishery also. Sure, L.O. is far superior in every way for size and numbers of salmonid fishing, but there's something to be said for using ultralight tackle (sorry fly guys) in some absolutely stunning settings to catch a few (mostly stocked) trout surrounded by the mountains and forests. If you're into fishing for the trophies and bragging rights don't waste your time, but if you're looking for a relaxing time off the grid without all the latest technology in beautiful scenery try the mountains. You just might be surprised.

In the early 1900s guides use to row skiffs out in the 1000 islands and fish for musky using cane/bamboo poles without reals(just line and a baited hook) and land huge fish regularly. I wasn't there but I read the stories and saw the photos. Today that doesn't happen. The guides today use down riggers, electric motors, expensive tackle, cameras etc.and are lucky to land a musky or 2 an entire season. The fishing has declined in certain ways even in the mighty St Lawrence, yet it still is the best option around. The same decline goes for the ADK, except that the muskies were always fewer and smaller in the ADK to begin with.

Edited by fishlover

It amazes,me the amount of stupidity I read on here 

Sitting at the Lumberjack eating breakfast on the way out . 4 days off the grid boys weekend . 

Probably landed 30 pike biggest 37 " 

40 bass most keepers to 21 "" 

More pics to follow after my friends  send them to me of their phones and camara . 

The less people I see up here the better . 

KIMG0833.thumb.jpg.c0cd590dc4eb2ce3e9f0fe96c8a96d7a.jpg
I guess if we were as smart as you we would all have a Gary d rig.

And there would probably be no more fish left anywhere .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It is too bad that the "numbers game" is being attached to these situations and I guess it may be a sign of where our society is presently at. Each of the environments mentioned are vastly different in many ways and to even "assume" that they each should be yielding similar fishing results is naive at best. Each of the places mentioned have vastly different characteristics that make them "special", and Gator is right the atmosphere and ambiance is what is the really neat thing about them and also reflective of the many and varied fishing and recreational possibilities located right here on our doorstep. Being able to fish within each of these places should be considered a "privilege" and not something to be taken for granted and subjected to the numbers game.  Fishing was different in most places 50 years ago but that shouldn't keep us from enjoying what we now have either.....folks need to step back and savor the variety and quality of things that we now have and try to protect them for the future generations rather than being obsessed with the numbers and size game.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 4

Well said Sk8man! We have become a society of how many fish or how big, or how big was your buck? Just so we can post it for the world to say how awesome we are... What happened to just enjoying the great outdoors?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 3

Spent 4 great days sleeping in a tent , eating camp grub , drinking beer and bourbon with 2 good friends . Listen  to loons as I fell asleep and taking in nature's bounty and appreciating every minute .  I live to be up there , I want my ashes spread up there . Can't wait to get back . 

I posted where I went ,what I used . Figured it might inspire some to go . Get away from the trolling routine and actually go fishing . 

Fished bass off weed edges and drop offs in the morning with jigs and drifted over weedbeds mid day casting spinners for pike . 

I don't think  30 pike and 40 bass for 3  guys fishing a lot in 4  days is tearing it  up .  Maybe to some it is . There are plenty of times I have not done well over the years but it seems they are less and less as I get more experience .

Those are the numbers like it or not . We live in a winners world. We keep score like it or not . All I read on here are numbers .  I'm not one of those " every person  gets a trophy " libs . Sorry if it offends the you . 

I

HB2 my comments weren't directed specifically to you or your previous comments because my perception of them was that you have the right idea and were fully appreciating the total experience of it all and I enjoyed them. After that is when things got a bit "cloudy" :lol:

Same, didn’t mean to take any shots. If anything, I’m jealous, I didn’t get the park this year and wish I was on the trip with you. I’ve done those trips, best trips ever. Perhaps my comments should been more general or it’s own thread. ADK is one of the best places around.

No offense taken to the numbers, as I’ll fish a tournament from time to time. I just think it’s important for us to teach our kids that success can come from a good experience as well as catching a lot of fish. Trust me, I love bending a rod, doesn’t matter what species.

Hope we all get out more as summer winds down!

Same, didn’t mean to take any shots. If anything, I’m jealous, I didn’t get the park this year and wish I was on the trip with you. I’ve done those trips, best trips ever. Perhaps my comments should been more general or it’s own thread. ADK is one of the best places around.

No offense taken to the numbers, as I’ll fish a tournament from time to time. I just think it’s important for us to teach our kids that success can come from a good experience as well as catching a lot of fish. Trust me, I love bending a rod, doesn’t matter what species.

Hope we all get out more as summer winds down!

Then my suggestion is to get the he'll off your sorry butts  and go up there .:-) :-)

I long for  up there . 

The mountains are calling and I must go. 

I like salmon trolling but I love it up there . 

I am happiest when I'm sleeping in my tent and having a nice breakfast off my camp stove after watching th we Sun come up over the mountains . It feeds my soul . 

So many fish , so little time . 

Man, I wish I could...

Having basically grown up summers in the ADK and worked there during college breaks, every time I go now I realize how much I miss it. But there are other priorities, and other mountains to explore, too. We are headed to Sequoia in September for a week, now that we're empty nesters and can get away while school is in session. I'll post pics when we get back.

I used to go to the Dacks every year camping at Indian Lake, Lewie Lake, Blue Mountain, Lake Durant, Old Forge, and Big Moose and many other places that i can no longer remember the names of and even got married in the chapel at Big Moose Lake and canoed up the Cedar River Run miles from civilization so I fully know what you mean. I've done the boat trip through the chain of lakes several times, caught trout in Fourth Lake and Indian, and brookies in the Black River. Wellesley and the Thousand Islands have also been high on the list of favorite places and I've been there camping dozens of times. It is one of the advantages of being a dinosaur that was always on the move:lol:. Keith you'll love Sequoia I was there a couple years ago.....just stand in front of one of those trees if you want to be humbled by Mother Nature....incredible.

DSC09070.JPG

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

:lol: Good one Mike...and that wasn't even the biggest one. There is one called "The General" that makes that one look little :smile:

• Like 1