• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted (edited)

At the Lumberjack getting breakfast on our way home 

3 days at Saranac Islands 

Did about 40 bass . A lot of dinks but a few nice largemouth up to 4# 

Also got about 8 pike up to 8# 

Small Bass pro stico 3 and 4 " Sure thing Color  and watermelon red flake . The

#5 Mepps black/ gold for the pike .

Not the best fishing but for the whole package , it's hard to beat . Love seeing the mountain mist on the water at dawn and seeing the Sun come up over the mountains . The fresh air . The call of the loon as I sleep in my tent . Blueberry pancakes off my cast iron pan I had since I was a kid . 

I pride myself as being a multi faceted/ species angler . I can jig, cast a musky plug , throw a fly for steelhead or stream trout , or troll for salmon . And love it all,. 

It amazes me that I talked to a lot of,people from the western New York area that have never been to the ADK 

Mtns . You owe it to yourselves and your kids to experience it at least once . 

KIMG0818.jpg

Edited by HB2
  • Like 2

You had me until you said "tent".

At the Lumberjack getting breakfast on our way home 

3 days at Saranac Islands 

Did about 40 bass . A lot of dinks but a few nice largemouth up to 4# 

Also got about 8 pike up to 8# 

Small Bass pro stico 3 and 4 " Sure thing Color  and watermelon red flake . The

#5 Mepps black/ gold for the pike .

Not the best fishing but for the whole package , it's hard to beat . Love seeing the mountain mist on the water at dawn and seeing the Sun come up over the mountains . The fresh air . The call of the loon as I sleep in my tent . Blueberry pancakes off my cast iron pan I had since I was a kid . 

I pride myself as being a multi faceted/ species angler . I can jig, cast a musky plug , throw a fly for steelhead or stream trout , or troll for salmon . And love it all,. 

It amazes me that I talked to a lot of,people from the western New York area that have never been to the ADK 
Mtns . You owe it to yourselves and your kids to experience it at least once . 
KIMG0818.thumb.jpg.908c30c04be5f908b82f09bbe71642a1.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

All part of the experience. 

My WIFE  enjoys it for God's sake, man ! 

Hey HB2,

I'm jealous. A trip to the Adirondacks is like going home to me. I couldn't agree with you more that there's nothing better than seeing the sun come up over those mountains and a summer mist on the water. And camping on the islands, man, that's the best. I'm kind of glad that some people don't like roughing it, otherwise it would get even more crowded. Twenty-five years ago, when my kids were in their early teens, we used to camp on the islands for a week every summer, then stretched it to ten days because everybody thought a week was too short. Now my kids are grown, with families of their own, but they still talk about those trips and how much fun they had. It's a state of mind you can't appreciate until you've tried it. It all really fits in with the quote from Henry David Thoreau- "Man fishes a lifetime before he realizes it's not the fish he's after".

I feel extremely lucky it didn't take me a lifetime . 

I read a lot of stuff on here . 

Some guys on hear need to figure out exactly why they  go fishing IMO . 

And how much did it cost . 

2 nights 50$ 

2 tanks of gas for the truck 125$ 

3 gallons for the boat . 12 $ 

2 breakfast at the Lumberjack 45$ 

35 $ for a bottle of Black Fly  Bourbon made in the Keene valley at a,flea market  ( impulse buy ) .

Can't count the food as we cooked in camp and we would have to eat home . 

About 10 worms and 2 jigheads 5$ 

We both forgot to mention sitting around the campfire at night, sky full of stars,yukkin' it up about any number of subjects, no traffic, no crowds- what else have I missed? And there's some great river fishing not too far away- the Saranac, the Ausable, the Raquette (for bass), travel a little farther there's the St. Regis, the Salmon (Franklin county), the Boquet- plus, about a hundred other lakes and ponds. But I digress.

We've vacationed at the Saranac chain twice in the past three years and it's been a blast each time. Very different trips though. We do cottages rather than tenting, but with our kayaks we're always on new water exploring every day. And with the Lund at the dock in front of the cottage, it's easy to spend the first hour of the day lighting up smallmouth off the points and be back in times for coffee and flapjacks.

Our first trip was to a place on the channel between Lake Flower and Oseetah, which is right near the actual town of Saranac Lake. Our second trip was a place located 20 minutes up the dirt road on the East side of Upper Saranac Lake. We're heading to Placid at the end of this month for a short 3-day trip, too.

If anybody wants information or opinions on the Saranac region, don't hesitate to pm me. It's a fantastic place to visit.