A few cool recent Cayuga Fish

3 minutes ago, Fishstix said:

Nice ,that top one looks 12 or so.( a 14 on my boat)Hee Hee.Thanks for showing pictures.

You have to wonder how long the mega bite on Cayuga will last.

BTW I recognize that shoreline.

Damn man it was 12 on the nose good eye 32 inches on the dot...

I for one hope it continues for awhile.  Haven't noticed much in the way of lamprey marks on the fish.  Anyone else seeing signs of lampreys?

6 hours ago, Fishstix said:

Nice ,that top one looks 12 or so.( a 14 on my boat)Hee Hee.Thanks for showing pictures.

You have to wonder how long the mega bite on Cayuga will last.

BTW I recognize that shoreline.

The DEC did a great job on the lamprey in Cayuga. Something you do not hear much is a compliment to the DEC.No scars on any fish Ive caught on Cayuga. It does not seem like that long ago on Cayuga you would have lamprey stuck to all the fish, the downrigger balls and stuck to the side of the boat.

Captain Mark you do a good job of picture taking.With the fish held close to the body you can get a good Idea of the actual size. :bow: Plus I could see the scales on its back.

Thank you sir.... I end up shooting a lot of pics for clients and they are all kind enough to allow me to use for marketing...nothing tells the story quite like the smiles, grins and pride holding up a trophy..

11 minutes ago, Fishstix said:

The DEC did a great job on the lamprey in Cayuga. Something you do not hear much is a compliment to the DEC.No scars on any fish Ive caught on Cayuga. It does not seem like that long ago on Cayuga you would have lamprey stuck to all the fish, the downrigger balls and stuck to the side of the boat.

Captain Mark you do a good job of picture taking.With the fish held close to the body you can get a good Idea of the actual size. :bow: Plus I could see the scales on its back.

Agreed.  Many complain of DEC mismanagement with Seneca lake but don't you wonder if there is more than just a lamprey issue there?

1 minute ago, Reel Doc said:

Agreed.  Many complain of DEC mismanagement with Seneca lake but don't you wonder if there is more than just a lamprey issue there?

Ive never fished Seneca.... all ive heard is it doesnt do as well as Cayuga ?

I have also wondered how long before the fish take a hit from the fishing pressure. I keep 2 to 4 fish for consumption every other time out , I get out a couple times a week or try to . I seen charters come back in with pack coolers . Witch is ok by me . I would want to keep fish to take home also . Catch and release.. When the water is cold the fish go back pretty easy. Now it's hot it's much harder to get them to go back . I have had my share of floaters..witch makes me feel I killing the fish just so I can have a good time ..
I'm a rookie so this is just imo.

I fished Seneca for the most part and move over to Cayuga cause the fishing got hard and the quality die off for me . I got my fingers crossed to see Seneca to return to the pass days and Cayuga to keep producing the way it is . ..

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Question for you finger lakes regulars. Do lake trout break off their teeth or gill raker parts into your fingers when handling?  My hands are a painful mess from last week. 

Lol I never put my hand in a mouth that is what pliers are for, if i screw up and let my fingers slip too far up through the gills to reach the row of teeth i regret it... I alway grab through the back of the gills unless Im releasing at the back of the boat during which I try not to touch the fish at all just pliers the hook out.  The gill plates only bother my hands a little when i bleed them by ripping a gill plate...

3 hours ago, Lewis863 said:

Ive never fished Seneca.... all ive heard is it doesnt do as well as Cayuga ?

The best part about Seneca is how much it makes you appreciate Cayuga :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gill-T said:

Question for you finger lakes regulars. Do lake trout break off their teeth or gill raker parts into your fingers when handling?  My hands are a painful mess from last week. 

The worst is too often I'll see blood on my hand and find it doesn't go away.  Laker bites tend to cause serious paper cuts!