Fish hawk probe, scare fish?

So heres a question,  I consistently catch more fish on the down rigger "without" the fish hawk probe.  Anyone ever notice this?  They come flying in follow and turn away.  The other side, follow and hit.  I'm running Shark weights.  Black.  

I dont recall opposite rigger taking more fish but I will watch for that.  This year I have seen a number of fish come up for a look an bolt.  Trying different colors, spoons, flies, leader lengths etc.  Will be out saturday morning, hoping for more takers and less lookers for sure!  Wish the lake would go back in time by 2 years....

I know my mag 10's are supposed to emit positive ions or some crap like that, not sure what your riggers are but maybe one has it one doesnt?  I will say my mag 10s do a lot better than the home made riggers I had on my old boat but old boat did not have fishhawk which in my opinion is the true game changer

Well I stagger my depths.  I hunt cold water with the probe.  Once I find fish I park it at the depth the fish are. Slightly bellow on and above.  To answer your question. The probe does not tell depth. Just speed at the weight, (shark).  But as I pass through fish.  Where the probe is they may follow but then drop away. Usually the fish hit the lure off the other weight, rigger.  That's the question.  Does the probe with the weight scare fish.

My point is : you may be fishing 20 ft higher in the water column than you think   My SNT tells depth at the ball. I need to let out ( depending on speed, wind an currents ) sometimes 125 ft of cable to reach 100 ft on the probe. It’s accurate. Tested against depth and temp probe   If I watch sonar ( distance finder ) it shows my weight at 100 ft with 100 ft of cable deployed. It’s not. It’s probably at 80 ft  the sonar is showing an object ( weight ) 100 ft from the transducer  the fish are not a part of the boat as is your gear. That’s the reason for the arches. The true depth of the fish is at the top of the arch  fish at 100 ft. Bait at 80. Could be your problem   Check amount of blow back between riggers 

I see.   I could be way off the actual fish.  I went to heaver weights to help stop so much blowback.  More math in the next trip.

It’s possible you are watching fish streak to your non probe bait I went to 16# torpedoes from troutman. Love em I made a chart years ago. Before down probes. I’ll see if I can find it and post a pic. It’s eye opening. If I remember. A 45 degree angle on the cable requires 175 ft if cable to reach 100 ft

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Quite a few guys paint there probe black.  They feel it makes a difference.  I think the opposite.  Something about that red blinking light some days they like a lot!  I don't see it as a negative.  Could just be the way your fishing that particular rigger.

Thanks for all this information.  I'm struggling with catching fish.  Very hit or miss.  It's very trying marking fish only to see very little results. Last week i caught a couple way out of temp.  Now I'm understanding why.  It's frustrating and costly washing lures. 

I just installed a X4D this spring. It shows on average of about 18 ft less than the rigger and sonar show at 100 ft going about 2.7 mph. Of course less depth at the ball will be less lost in actual depth. The sonar shows 100 ft because the weight is actually that distance away from the transducer but lost 18 ft of depth from water resistance. If my other rigger is set a bit higher or lower, I do a quick ratio from 100 ft to get a somewhat accurate depth.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So not complicating this , fish arc on sonar, with ball showing same time, they look level , the question is are they at the same depth?? 

No. They are the same distance from the transducer. Your sonar is a distance finder. The weight may be 100 ft from the ducer. But actually at 80 ft depth because of blowback

Sort of on this topic but is quessing downspeed by blowback possible or do currents play a bigger part?If so would running heavier balls bring my down speed closer to top speed?

LO currents play a major role in downspeed. I have read volumes from experienced Capts. They state that currents can and do sometimes run , say N to S at a certain depth and E to W 20 feet deeper Watching rigger cable angles can tell you a lot. If you’re speed over ground ( or water ) is say 2.5 mph and your cables are blowing back at a 40 degree angle , it’s a good bet your baits are in a current going counter to your course and your baits are spinning wildly and way above where you think you’re fishing . Conversely, at the same speed you notice little blow back. You are probably in a current going with you and your baits are hanging with little or no action . A heavier weight will help keep your baits closer to your intended depths , but they can’t tell you if your in a current

Wouldn't that also apply to the fish if they are not directly under the boat? 

Absolutely. But with the cone that is produced by your ducer ,seeing fish more than a few feet to either side is doubtful. I just picked up a unit with side scan. Can’t wait to try it