North Sandy Pond area -- shore/stream fishing areas for kid

Heading up to our cabin near North Sandy Pond this weekend for two weeks.

We don't have a boat, so looking for some places to do shore fishing (or wading, although I know water is high right now on lake; not sure how it is in streams).

My son loves fishing for bass, but last year he was thrilled to catch a bowfin at Selkirk Shores and basically, he'll fish for anything.

Some of our usual places are the public access at Port Ontario bridge, South Sandy Creek at Rt. 3 and at the bridge in Ellisburg.

I'll be fishing with him, but he's a typical boy, and he pushes the limits of safety at times, so no waters that are too deep/fast so I'm not grousing at him the whole time (I'm a typical mom).

Any other public access points we should consider? I'm OK with driving a bit to get there. Thanks!

2 hours ago, SkookGirl said:

Heading up to our cabin near North Sandy Pond this weekend for two weeks.

We don't have a boat, so looking for some places to do shore fishing (or wading, although I know water is high right now on lake; not sure how it is in streams).

My son loves fishing for bass, but last year he was thrilled to catch a bowfin at Selkirk Shores and basically, he'll fish for anything.

Some of our usual places are the public access at Port Ontario bridge, South Sandy Creek at Rt. 3 and at the bridge in Ellisburg.

I'll be fishing with him, but he's a typical boy, and he pushes the limits of safety at times, so no waters that are too deep/fast so I'm not grousing at him the whole time (I'm a typical mom).

Any other public access points we should consider? I'm OK with driving a bit to get there. Thanks!

Mexico point boat ramp or Mexico point Park. 

• Like 1

I'll second the pfr maps for Jefferson,Oswego, and also Lewis County.  Also check the DEC website for the state forests.  Lots of small streams with wild brook trout, often driving the back roads and finding road crossings, generally east of Route 81 into the Tug Hill,  Some stocked pfr water south of Watertown around Adams as well.  Respect all posted signs, trespassing is treated seriously up there, but watch for the DEC lands signs.  Bring the Deepwoods Off, and headnets

• Like 1

Thank you! The maps and suggestions are perfect!

And yes, we definitely prep with the Deep Woods Off. We're from PA, where ticks are everywhere and already had one kid with a bullseye rash (luckily, caught it in time).

My dad was a huge fisherman and bought our cabin at Sandy Pond. Up until a few years ago, I only drove up to go to the beaches. Now that my son is fishing, I'm needing to rediscover the area again.

As he gets older, if he is really into bass, you may want to invest in some kayaks or a canoe.  The estuaries of all the Sandy's and all the ponds along the east end of the lake are great fishing, but limited shore access.  Great birdwatching, wildlife watching, just paddling, too, for when he outgrows going with Mom!

• Like 1