Downrigger weight question

I paint my rigger weights black, but I have no idea if my catch rate would increase, decrease, or stay the same if I left them unpainted.
I know it wouldn't change the return on the sonar but with the 16# torpedos I get such a big line on fishfinder. Do I need to fish smaller weights til there is too much blowback and then use the torpedos? Or is that a sonar issue ? Running lowrance elite Ti with the totalscan transducer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, prayingmantis said:

I know it wouldn't change the return on the sonar but with the 16# torpedos I get such a big line on fishfinder. Do I need to fish smaller weights til there is too much blowback and then use the torpedos? Or is that a sonar issue ? Running lowrance elite Ti with the totalscan transducer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

At certain depths & certain speeds, you will see your rigger weights. I run 12# torpedos. Sometimes I can see them on my sonar, sometimes I can't. I run a Humminbird 1198 and a Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 3 with a 50/200/455/800 HDI skimmer transducer.

In other words, don't change your rigger weights. You're not doing anything wrong.