Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Salmonhunter22

Downrigger weight question

Just wondering. I have a set of 16# torpedo weight that I got from troutman on here. Does anyone notice a difference between the regular silver weights and ones that are painted black ? Does anyone like the shark weights over the torpedos ? 

Thanks 

I guess I wasnt very clear in what I was asking. Does anyone that paints the torpedo weights see any difference in catch rates. Wondering if being silver scares fish 

Paint one and not the other.....On my boat, everything that isn't intended to catch fish is black (weights, dipsys...).  Not sure if it has any real effect, but who knows.

I paint my rigger weights black, but I have no idea if my catch rate would increase, decrease, or stay the same if I left them unpainted.

Posted (edited)

Chrome sharks when it’s sunny and black sharks when it’s early or overcast.

Edited by Decoy Hound

I paint my rigger weights black, but I have no idea if my catch rate would increase, decrease, or stay the same if I left them unpainted.
I know it wouldn't change the return on the sonar but with the 16# torpedos I get such a big line on fishfinder. Do I need to fish smaller weights til there is too much blowback and then use the torpedos? Or is that a sonar issue ? Running lowrance elite Ti with the totalscan transducer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, prayingmantis said:

I know it wouldn't change the return on the sonar but with the 16# torpedos I get such a big line on fishfinder. Do I need to fish smaller weights til there is too much blowback and then use the torpedos? Or is that a sonar issue ? Running lowrance elite Ti with the totalscan transducer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

At certain depths & certain speeds, you will see your rigger weights. I run 12# torpedos. Sometimes I can see them on my sonar, sometimes I can't. I run a Humminbird 1198 and a Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 3 with a 50/200/455/800 HDI skimmer transducer.

In other words, don't change your rigger weights. You're not doing anything wrong.

Just turn your sensitivity down. I can go from a thin green line (weak signal) to dark red (hard return) with the turn of the dial.

• Like 1