The wife and I had our baby last Monday, so she told me to go fishing and buy a larger boat for the family.

We started in 30’ as I explained to my buddy how to set up the rods and riggers. After 2 hours, we had 5 rods out. lol.

Saw many bait balls from 50-140’, but 100-130 had the majority of salmon. We marked/caught fish from 40’-90’. All FF except one steelhead on a 300’ core pulling a Dreamweaver spoon. Had several releases on other spoons, but never kept a hook in. The salmon were only 12-15lbs, and pulled 15’ of line at most. Highly disappointing fights for my buddy who never caught one before.

Ran back into town for food and checked out some local boats before getting back out on the lake around 5:45.

We tried for Browns until 7ish before running out to the schools of salmon we found earlier in 100-130’. FF bite was still on fire. Not a touch on the spoons. Managed a few decent fish, and broke a few off before it became too dark. I was happy he finally experienced a fish screaming out 400’ of line.

The coolest part of the day was during a mid morning break, a school of alewives swarmed the boat and hung around for half and hour. The school stretched from a few feet below the surface down to about 30’ on the sonar. Once in awhile, you could see what appeared to be 5-6lb steelhead coming from below and chasing them. Absolutely amazing! It reminded me of Blues chasing schools of menhaden.

Mike

IMG_9829.JPGIMG_9830.JPGIMG_9816.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Congrats on your success.  Small boat man, like me.  How were the fleas there?

Thank you.

I will definitely miss fishing the lake with her, but a safer boat for the children is necessary at this point. Fleas weren’t too bad, and only had a couple times they needed to be cleared while fighting a fish. Sunday on Cayuga....now that was a different story 🤮

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app