Where to Launch Near Pulaski NY?

I have a 22.5 foot hard top starcraft islander and have launched in all 3 locations. These are MY order of preference

1. Mexico state launch : the launch is top notch that can do 4 boats at a time with a holding dock for about 6 in the water. Plenty of parking and ease of use right at the break wall to the lake.  Con: Its a big bay, we typically don't drop lines until 3-4 miles out. Sometimes we run 12 miles plus . Salmon river mouth is about 4 miles, Oswego about 6. It can be challenging in rough seas. Worst case, you fish upstream in the river (little salmon ) for bass , pike, gills, crappie and perch. Quite good fishing.

2. Pine Grove state launch : the launch is basically sandy but gradual . It will do 2 boats at once if people cooperate in backing in. It is located on the salmon river and the same opportunities for river fishing exist if being blown off the lake.. About a 10 minute putt to the break wall will put you about 1-2 miles into setting lines on the lake.

Cons:   it sometimes gets busy and crazy . It's very shallow and weedy at the launch. The 10 minute ride to the lake seems to take forever..

3: lighthouse marina : It's right at the break wall to the lake. Quick access .

Cons : I dislike this launch  Last time I was there its single use. VERY steep and a drop at the end of ramp that you wonder if your getting out.

Very little dock space to tie up.

Good luck and catch a bunch  

Edit:

Dans chicken shack right at intersection to mexico launch is awesome

Edited by Rich s

End of August I’d vote pine grove. Depends on where the fish are. If they’re still out reasonably deep, mexico is where to go. As stated above, pine grove at 9pm recovering your boat will take a while and likely will be a line of guys recovering. 

Good luck

30 minutes ago, parisfisherman said:

Thank you! 

This will be our first Salmon trip. I have a fish hawk on the boat and a Lowrance HDS unit. I read where everyone targets a certain water temp and thermocline. Do you not mark this fish on the graph and then target that depth? 

The thermocline is a good place to start if you aren't marking fish or once you first get out there. But if you are marking fish then you would adjust and fish the marks instead of water temp. 

Edited by FishingFool34

2 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

The thermocline is a good place to start if you aren't marking fish or once you first get out there. But if you are marking fish then you would adjust and fish the marks instead of water temp. 

So even if the marks are not there doesn't mean the fish are not there correct? Do you not see them on a graph when mixed in at the thermocline? 

12 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

e thermocline is a good place to start if you aren't marking fish or once you first get out there. But if you are marking fish then you would adjust and fish the marks instead of water temp. 

Exactly this. I don’t use a fish hawk because it’s just not worth the extra few fish it would catch me for the cost. Rarely have I gone out and not marked a consistent depth they’re at. Especially end of August. What I can’t do is measure the speed of my lure at that depth. Oh well. 

5 minutes ago, parisfisherman said:

So even if the marks are not there doesn't mean the fish are not there correct? Do you not see them on a graph when mixed in at the thermocline? 

I don’t think this to be the case with the technology we have now. I think a recent depth finder marks the fish if they’re there, especially when talking about king salmon and their size. My opinion. Over the last few years I’ve had success with minimal gear, perseverance and the help from generous people on this site. I wouldn’t over think it. Keep it simple. And keep it safe. That time of year is when people go out at all costs to catch a fish and lives are lost because of it. 

Edited by Offshore IV

12 minutes ago, parisfisherman said:

Correct to a degree, your sonar puts out a cone and depending on the frequency of your transducer and the water depth. This will determine the size of the area you will see on your screen. It is very easy to not see fish but still catch fish. Planer boards are almost always outside of the sonar cone and depending on what settings you use, the same can be said for dipsey divers. Fish can easily be outside of the sight of your sonar but still inside your lure spread or drawn into your spread.

I've had many good days fishing while not marking nearly as many fish as I caught.

FF34 has a good point. I would say a dipsey on a 3 setting would also be outside the cone. Remember that fish can see what’s above them far better than what’s below them. For that reason, I like to put the bait about 3’ above the marks, if I can get that accurate. I also think scent makes a huge difference

21 minutes ago, Offshore IV said:

FF34 has a good point. I would say a dipsey on a 3 setting would also be outside the cone. Remember that fish can see what’s above them far better than what’s below them. For that reason, I like to put the bait about 3’ above the marks, if I can get that accurate. I also think scent makes a huge difference

What size dipsy's do you run? #1 or mags? 

Do mark big schools or just small pods of fish typically? 

Thank you and FF34 for this info. Very much appreciated. 

Eric 

19 minutes ago, parisfisherman said:

What size dipsy's do you run? #1 or mags? 

Do mark big schools or just small pods of fish typically? 

Thank you and FF34 for this info. Very much appreciated. 

Eric 

Depends on what depths you're trying to target. I'll use #1 most of the time, but if I'm trying to get down to 90' or deeper I switch to mags. If I run 4 dipseys I will run mags on the deepest 2 and #1 on the 2 higher ones. You will mark bigger schools most often in the fall when they start staging, spring and summer it's small pods or single fish usually.

Edited by FishingFool34

I'm sorry , I didn't notice you stated the end of August. Mexico is still and would be my first launch choice.

As for depth , sonar and temp, nothing is hard fast and true but typically the fish are in a staging pattern Temps might not be so important unless you are going offshore in real deep water. Sonar is kind of the better indicator if your doing 80-120 fow.

We usually see them stacked and very close to the bottom.  Getting them to bite is the challenge because you will see tons of boats following the same depth , it sometimes gives them lock jaw . Changing lures, speed and trolling patterns seems to be more a key than anything .

When we cant buy a bite but mark lots of fish in these situations , we head deeper and fish the thermocline .

As stated above, the lake can get VERY ANGRY this time of year as hurricane season is near..

Good luck.

On 7/15/2019 at 1:22 PM, parisfisherman said:

Coming up near the end of August and staying in Pulaski for a few days. Where is the best spot to launch with a 21ft deep V boat? Willing to travel and pay for a nice launch. 

Never been to the area.

Thanks! 

Eric

My fiance and I always launch from mexico with my 25ft Trophy.  Really nice launch.Theres been weekends we bought an overnight pass and tied the boat to dock overnight and slept on it.  Aug25-Aug29 we rented a lakefront cottage to spend our honeymoon salmon fishing.  If your gonna be up there on them dates shot me a PM or gimme a yell on 68 boat name “Northbound”.   I’m more then happy to share information 

On 7/27/2019 at 9:24 PM, Hachimo said:

My fiance and I always launch from mexico with my 25ft Trophy.  Really nice launch.Theres been weekends we bought an overnight pass and tied the boat to dock overnight and slept on it.  Aug25-Aug29 we rented a lakefront cottage to spend our honeymoon salmon fishing.  If your gonna be up there on them dates shot me a PM or gimme a yell on 68 boat name “Northbound”.   I’m more then happy to share information 

Sounds like a great honeymoon! We will fish the 28th and 29th. I will definitely get a hold of you when the time gets closer!  Thank you for the info and help! 

Eric

I have 23' Baha and Mexico is your best bet, half way between 9 Mile and Big Salmon. Never a problem with launching, water is plenty deep and you can do 4 at a time (if lake goes down) with plenty of parking. Right now Pine Groove has more water but usually I wouldn't launch there with anything over 18'. I pulled out of the Light House Marina one year due to engine trouble, hopefully I'll never use that launch again. Good luck hopefully I'll be on the lake that time also.

2 minutes ago, Firechief48 said:

I have 23' Baha and Mexico is your best bet, half way between 9 Mile and Big Salmon. Never a problem with launching, water is plenty deep and you can do 4 at a time (if lake goes down) with plenty of parking. Right now Pine Groove has more water but usually I wouldn't launch there with anything over 18'. I pulled out of the Light House Marina one year due to engine trouble, hopefully I'll never use that launch again. Good luck hopefully I'll be on the lake that time also.

The two outside lanes are still closed as of Saturday. Water has gone down some, the land along the 2 outside lanes has been underwater for months but now is basically right at water level if not slightly above. So it is going down, just very very slowly.