drop ball

The best release was made by big Jon it was red and had a main part you threaded on your line that was like a horse shoe shape with a pin that also went on your line. The pin then was pushed in the main PC's ..you could yank your ass off from the rod end and the ball stayed..but when a fish pulled the lure the pin came out and the ball fell off.. we used then all the time ..it was what you did as a junk rod before the copper craze.. I still have some and when fish are deep I pull it out ..you can get down easy 100 foot with only like 250 foot of line out ..we used to save money by gather old rail road spikes from where they took out the old tracks. . Those worked great and were free.. it also was the first way I ran big flashers and meat heads back then ...we did not have spin doctors it was dodgers and squid..the first flashers I used were the 11 inch paddles and the old clear meat heads you had to bend to get to run. And we basically only ran it on dropper rods

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have two Big Jon Jettison Releases.  Send me a PM if you are interested in them.  I haven’t used them in years- back when we ran mono divers we used the Jettisons to rig up a slide system for the dipsey.  They worked with mixed results and got tossed in with a bunch of other releases I’ve played with.

I have 1lb. balls for sale.. they are 3.00 each and shipping is 7.00 and I can ship 15 balls for that. 

PM me if your interested. 

On 7/15/2019 at 9:00 PM, rougarou said:

back in late 80's they use to make a setup where you long lined a 1# ball off a release that let it go when a fish hit does any body know what the rig was called and are any around

Luhr Jensen made a sinker release that was spring loaded in line ! Once fish on the tension would release weight ! 

It was in line type !

• 3 weeks later...

seems like a waste of weights i would rather use an or clip the one with the pin and just take it off.  lead is getting more expensive every year and its a bad look to purposely leave it on the bottom of the lake

That’s designed for deep dropping primarily not so much trolling applications ! Today tile guys or deep droppers in general will rely on a deep drop reel of sorts either manual or electric !  O one leaves lead behind anymore for a variety of reasons !

Adding lead to the environment is not a great idea in any case but at least I don't think the ducks and birds would chow down on them by accident:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...