Best sonar GPS fish finder???

I usually don't mark the fish I catch, not with my Humminbirds (959 & 1198 SI), and not with my Lowrances (Elite 9Ti & HDS 9 Gen3). But all of my fish finders mark the heck out of the fish that I DON't catch. A lot of fish swim behind your bait for awhile, behind the range of your sonar beam. If you are barely seeing your rigger ball on your sonar, or NOT seeing your rigger ball at all, then how would it be possible to see the fish that take your bait when it is 10ft or more behind your ball?

Don't give up on your fish finders just yet. Point your transducer straight down. This will give you the best fish hooks on your graph. If you point the ducer too far forward or too far back it won't show the best fish returns (arches). Try a different lake, deeper or shallower water, call Humminbird, their customer service is excellent. They will help you with your settings.

• Like 1

I've only used transom mounted transducers, so I can't give an opinion about a thru-hull. Swapping a transom mounted ducer is easy.

I run my 1198 and HDS 9 on my big lake boat, and the 959 & Elite 9 on my 16' boat. I like running a Humminbird and a Lowrance on each boat because the don't always show the same sonar returns. I also like to run a LakeMaster map chip in my Humminbirds and the Navionics + map chip in my Lowrance units. My Elite 9Ti (not the Ti2) came with the TotalScan transducer and it's a great unit.

Edited by Todd in NY
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cedarswamp said:

I’m trying to figure out what Hummingbird to get that will work with my Minn Kota Ultrex? I’m hearing a Gen 2 or Gen3! Not sure for trolling weather I need a Side imaging, Down Imaging, there seems to be so many different options. Trying to get one that will be most beneficial to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've never researched which Humminbird will work with a trolling motor, so I can't help you with that.

I don't want to give you bad advice so just to clarify.

iPilot works with a remote. iPilot Link has a remote AND interfaces with Humminbird units.

Plain iPilot will not interface with Humminbird, or any sonar unit.