tablet or I-pad W/ Navionics

cedarswamp

I have been using an iPad as my primary means of navigation for over 9 years now; it's fast, accurate and user friendly. The charts update and correct themselves, and I also save all the manuals for the equipment on the boat on an iPad. I started with the app iPilot, which I really like and have invested a lot of time on, but recently started using Navionics ‘Boating’ app since it works with Raymarine WiFish (bathymetry is wild). I haven’t run into any problems with overheating, but I keep them in the cabin of my boat. Issues I have found- on sunny, bright days it hard to see the screen (especially with polarized glasses) but being mounted in the cabin I just angle them against and towards the overhead a little and I can see them fine from the aft deck (15ft away- I run 2 slide-in charger docks to hold them while onboard). On cold days, or if your hand is wet, it’s sometimes hard to use the touchscreen. Check out if the iPad or tablet has a built in GPS- 1st one I had did not so I had to run an external Bluetooth antenna, but I picked up a 2nd that does, so the older one is now just for the fish finder, manuals and back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app