Setting up a copper rod.

Set up a 300’ weighted steel for your first rod. To get a full fill of backing, fill the reel backwards - 30’ leader, weighted steel, 10-20’ 40lb mono (where you attach to release), then the braid backing until the reel is full.

Then take it off, and reinstall it backing first. If you have more than one reel, transfer it from one to another. If you only have the one reel, stretch it out in a park somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

51 minutes ago, John E Powell said:

Set up a 300’ weighted steel for your first rod. To get a full fill of backing, fill the reel backwards - leader, weighted steel, then the backing until the reel is full. Then take it off, and reinstall it backing first. If you have more than one reel, transfer it from one to another. If you only have the one reel, stretch it out in a park somewhere.

300 weighted steel is going to be a really tight fit on a 45 size reel. If you're going to do that I would recommend using 30lb braid as backing but a 45 reel is better setup as a 200 copper/WS. You really need a 55 size for a 300 setup, I'd recommend a high speed reel once you get into 300 setups as well. 

The volume of the leader, line, and backing is a constant whether spooled forwards or backwards.

By initially filling the reel’s backing last (backwards), you assure that you will fill the reel’s spool to the optimal point. You get the maximum amount of backing on the spool while eliminating the possibility of having too much backing (which will bind the mainline or leader against the reel frame cross member or the level wind).

18 hours ago, Bassin Bob said:

I've never fished with copper.  I have an okuma CV45D.  What's the most I can get on this reel.

1. How much backing.

2. Is  200 copper enough, for most situations. 

Thanks.

Whole bunch of info here...

11 hours ago, sammygee said:

John, I'm interested in the reasoning of filling the reel backwards.....  Would it be to see if the lengths of line would fit ???    Thanx

If you don't know how much backing you're going to need that is the best way to do it. With the backing on top initially you can make sure you get the max amount of backing and completely fill the reel so your linecounter will be correct. The correct linecounter part applies more to wire/braid diver setups than copper, but it's still a good idea to try and fill the reel either way. Then simply transfer it to another reel.

Edited by FishingFool34

I highly recommend Atommik copper in 300' and 500' lengths.  These have been my 2 most popular coppers over the years.  You will need a Penn 340 or a Daiwa Seagate 60 for the 300 and a Penn 345 GTI or a Okuma Soltera for the 500.  I run a full 300yds of backing on all my coppers.