Port of Rochester or Sandy creek launches open?

Port of Rochester, both docks were just out of the water as of Sunday morning, ramps full of debris and closed. I would think they would get them open by the weekend.

Launch on Manitou Beach (west side of bay) is 24/7
It has a barrier that swings open when you put $4 in the vending machine. $4 in, $4 out.
East side of bay I think you can launch anytime also and pay when you pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 hour ago, whaler1 said:

Launch on Manitou Beach (west side of bay) is 24/7
It has a barrier that swings open when you put $4 in the vending machine. $4 in, $4 out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

coins or bills?

Edited by rolmops

Thats rediculous. What if you dont have change on the way out or the machine wont take your money? Stupidity. Tell me why in the heck doesnt NYS make a nice launch at Hamlin Beach? They have all kinds of room for parking and the launch. More money for them. So they might have to make a small harbor or breakwalls or something, they could do like Sturgeon Pt On Erie. Launching around here is a joke and that includes Sandy even when open if you like walking 2 miles to your car.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimski2 said:

Money maker???? There are 480,000 trailer boats in New York State. They all paid sales taxes when first registered, fuel taxes, registration fees and more. How can they BS us.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

At first sight you would think so, but there are a lot of launches and launch services that get paid with this and the towns  that have launches spend way more money on the building and maintenance than they get out of it. The truth is that we are a very small special interest group. Places like Olcot or Oswego with very good marine services are the exception rather than the rule.

You must be forgetting the literally hundreds of inland launches, all of which are free unless they are in a campground where you pay the day use fee.    Yes, I know, many will only handle car toppers and canoes, but I don't envision little machines full of money being left out in remote spots.

But I'm a big supporter of user fees, you will note that our former DECer indicated that the stumbling block to upgrading facilities is money, and user fees are a fair source of money.  Just because I registered my car does not mean I get to ride on the roads for free, I also pay gasoline taxes, and for the quickway, tolls!

A lot of trailer boats pay gasoline taxes that could be used for boat launches. Registration fees and sales taxes on marine supplies could be used for launch services. Professional football, base ball, basketball teams get millions and millions of tax dollars annually. Come on compare the tax dollars spent on other sport facilities with police and other service costs every game. Launch ramp services are minuscule compared other tax dollar expenditures.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 7/18/2019 at 8:39 AM, Lucky13 said:

You must be forgetting the literally hundreds of inland launches, all of which are free unless they are in a campground where you pay the day use fee.    Yes, I know, many will only handle car toppers and canoes, but I don't envision little machines full of money being left out in remote spots.

But I'm a big supporter of user fees, you will note that our former DECer indicated that the stumbling block to upgrading facilities is money, and user fees are a fair source of money.  Just because I registered my car does not mean I get to ride on the roads for free, I also pay gasoline taxes, and for the quickway, tolls!

When DEC started in 1973 it was agreed on that DEC would manage and build small sites and OPR (parks) would take care of the larger sites.  it is unfeasible for dec to collect launching fees on these small sites. Sites like Oak Orchard west side and Sampson on Seneca lake are parks. The public use section of DEC kept trying f or years to get a small fraction of 1% of the gas sales tax which would be more than enough to build new sites and manage all DEC sites. They may be still trying to get that money but state legislators are very stingy with money. Boat launches are not on their radar