Running meat and spoons

I just started running meat rigs and was advised to run the meat at around 1.9 to 2.2 mph on the probe and no faster. I'm sure people run meat along with spoons in the spread at the same time, so what speed do people run at if mixing both in the spread?  I figure the spoons wont have much action going that slow.  I usually run a 6 rod spread which includes 2 riggers, 2 wire dipseys and 2 lines off of boards and i like to mix it up. 

I usually run faster than that personally. 2.2-3.0 at times. I usually shoot for 2.5mph and 'S' turn to figure out what they want, sometimes it's slower but usually it's faster. I've run meat at 2.7+ and caught fish and I always have a spoon or two in my spread and caught fish on them at the same speeds. I've never heard that you need to run meat slower than anything else if you're targeting salmon.

• Like 1

I also have a fish hawk and wasn't aware there was a difference.  The day that i ran the meat at a slower speed i caught a few bigger fish on the meat rigs and  flasher/fly rigs and only caught a couple of smaller 5 lb fish on the spoons i was running.  Maybe i will try to speed up a little bit and or run smaller/lighter spoons in the spread the next time and see what happens.  Thanks

I was always taught to target 1.8-2.2 with meat to get the proper roll. However I have found that playing with your paddle and the meat head can give you the proper roll at higher speeds. That said I have had great days on meat and spoons at 2.0 all the way to 3.0 so I agree with above .

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thin spoons or spoons with a heavy bend work at slower speeds. The picture below is a R&R 5 1/8” Kodiak Wobbler mag. Note the heavy bend in the spoon allowing it to dance at very slow speeds

A0E84AAB-2806-4C5F-AF91-7BDFAF55DCEC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Most impeller driven speed indicators differ slightly and it can be especially pronounced at the extreme low end and high end of the range of operation

Edited by Sk8man