Buying new electronics need help

I'm in the market for new electronics. I recently just purchased a Humminbird Helix 10 to mount to the bow of my boat. Now I'm looking to put a Humminbird on the dash. Had my heart set on a Humminbird 10 in with Si. My question is, is the side imagining worth the extra coin or is just down imagining good enough. I know for salmon and trout the answer is probably not , but I'm looking for Walleye and other species. Thanks for help in advance!

I use side imaging way more than down imaging, myself. Side imaging is awesome for shallow water fishing targeting structure. You see where the weeds, boulders, humps, bottom transitions, etc., are out to the side of the boat. You can also see bait and predator fish once you get the hang of it. With big fish, like staging salmon or muskies, you can see the whole fish right down to the shape of the tail.

The structure alone is worth it to me though. Knowing you're 20 feet off a weedline instead of just guessing saves a lot of wasted casts or fouled lines if you're trolling.

Watch some Youtube vids and that should help you decide.

I use side imaging to locate and look at structure, so I think it's worth it, especially for multi-species boats.

I have an 1198c SI, so the SI isn't as clear as the modern SI units, and fish are harder to spot on my 1198 than on the new units.

Don't expect the fish to stand out as easily as the do on 2D sonar, but as Chowdaire mentioned, it gets easier with practice.

Edited by Todd in NY

I have SI on both of my units, almost never use it. But to be fair when I'm walleye fishing, I fish the same spots I have been fishing for years. So no real need to look for structure because I already know what is there. Next time I buy new electronics I will skip the imaging and spend the money on a larger screen.

• Like 1

FishingFool34 brings up a good point about screen size vs SI/DI. Screen size is a big deal, especially with imaging, but that comes at a much higher cost.

I fish a lot of unfamiliar water, so I like having SI/DI on at least one fish finder, especially because I fish for multi species on several different lakes. I find myself NOT using SI on the lakes that I have fished a lot.