Flies, the biting kind!!!

Hey guys, wasnt sure where to put this but discovered something that works. Fished Erie last weekend and the stable flies were horrendous. Based on top ratings from consumer reports decided to give this a try. I bought it at Sportsman's Warehouse but Amazon and various places sell it. It works although I had to apply it every 4 hrs instead of the 8 they say...no deet.1563555497828.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

Oh boy. I never experienced biting flies until one day years back we were driven off lake Erie by them.

Didn't know they were stable flies. I called them 'little Ba_tards'.

But thinking about it I noticed that flies bite just before storm's. Yep they do. On the lake that day we were swarmed. No repellent in sight and man did it pour. 

I've used Repel 100% deet, Cutter, Deep Woods Off and others. They work for about 10 mins right after spraying them on while they are wet. After that didnt phase the flies. It wasn't raining the last time I was out and flies were still biting bad. I think these little ankle biters were out for blood regardless of weather. A nice stiff breeze is about the only thing that keeps them down. The Sawyer Repellent does work better than anything else I've tried.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes, that is the Sawyer products with Picaradin instead of deet. Learned about it when bigger horse flies bite when cutting the grass. With that on they will bump into you but wont land on you. Great stuff. Get mine at Target or Gander Outdoors. They both usually have it. Has almost no smell which is good also.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This was recommended by a fisherman buddy. Got it on Amazon. Worked great yesterday after the little savages found us. Only applied it once from knees down. Leaves a little oily film that they may land on but don't bite. IMG_0188.thumb.JPG.7babcb0a34806993f10c149fb8aba2f7.JPG

Another solution I have found is using a small 5" fan that plugs into your 12V accessory outlet. It has a large clamping suction cup base that really holds to the wall of the boat's cockpit. Attach it low and point it at your feet. Got it on Amazon for $20.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I know folks like wearing their shorts and sandals etc. out there but wearing long nylon (breathable) pants and socks and sneakers seems to be the best protection I've found. When doing so they don't seem to come near me but my stubborn buggy buddy is plagued by them with shorts and sandals.......I just shake my head in disbelief that after it happening time after time he still does it. :lol: Sorry Bob I know change comes hard for ya:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Hatch on land and ride the wind. Attracted to blue hues.

Repellents... catnip oil (maybe get at farm centers), lemon grass oil, lemon joy dish soap (slathered on), 100% deet, (though not 100% effective for some reason).

Hang wide sticky strips under seats or any sticky strips, the whiter the better. A trap found around stables made from Alsynite fiberglass (this breaks up light to blue hues, like the blue you sometimes see around street  or car lights) These traps must have sticky stuff in them.

There are other things you can do, so check them out to see what works best for you.  Me, I'll try sticky strips and perhaps catnip oil (if I can find it) and put it on high socks. 

I'll be a nerd. 🤓

LL Bean has some grey nylon type that are very light and breathable and they zip above the knee so if you then want short pants you have them. They are well worth the $$ to me....4 seasons on them and plenty more to go. They are also long enough to cover socks so reduces biting there too.

Edited by Sk8man

Oh yeah they do bite through socks. I was just saying I'd put whatever I want to try on my socks. 

I checked for catnip oil. 

3 ounces pure for $129.00 , to much for me.

Hmm, at Pet Smart stores they have a diluted 3 ounce spray of catnip oil. I think I'll try that first on my socks. Probably safe on skin too. $9.99

Edited by TFB
Needed price

Oh yeah they do bite through socks. I was just saying I'd put whatever I want to try on my socks. 
I checked for catnip oil. 
3 ounces pure for $129.00 , to much for me.
Hmm, at Pet Smart stores they have a diluted 3 ounce spray of catnip oil. I think I'll try that first on my socks. Probably safe on skin too. $9.99

It might work but everytime you see a flasher fly you'll be in the back of the boat jumping and batting at it....???

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes sir, I didn't forget that and pecardian as the active ingredient. 

I researched stable flies and the different oils I mentioned were also recommended. 🤔 just sayin, it's kinda interesting.