Rocchester fishing help please?

Hello, 

I'm new here. I just registered and posted a inew member introduction in the appropriate forum.

My wife & I are visiting a friend in Roccester NY during the 1st week of August. I'd like to do a little fishing. I'm mostly a surf fisher, do some NE groundfishing jigging & trout fish in small streams in south eastern PA. I say that to say I have no idea where to start, what to fish for or how in Roccester. I see the Guenesee river enters there & there is what looks like a long pier there. Is that a good place to fish (i.e. the pier)? What species am I most likley to be able to catch there 1st week of August? I prefer tossing lurse but am in no way above fishing bait of any kind. What gear should I bring?

I love trout, would be sooooo pumped to catch a salomon, steelhead is #1 on my bucket list. Perch or walleyes would be excellent too. I'm not into catfish.

Any help, adviseor info will be greatly appreciated. Even if it's simply directing me to resources.

PM's are very welcome as not to spot burn. No worry about that. It's just me fishing & I'm only going once and going back home to PA.

Thanks in advance!

Respectfully,

JD

welcome to the site!  Opportunities for cold water fish from shore in the first week of August are non existent.  Might be someone here willing to take you out for trout and salmon.

1 hour ago, HB2 said:

Take a charter . 

1 hour ago, whaler1 said:

welcome to the site!  Opportunities for cold water fish from shore in the first week of August are non existent.  Might be someone here willing to take you out for trout and salmon.

Thanks, I'm disappointed but I needed to know that.

That being said, what is avaiable from shore in Rocchester during the frst week of Aug? How about that peer?

JD

The piers at the end of the Genesee are usually fished for smallmouth bass, perch, and drum in the summer.  But it can be brutally hot out there, so you probably want to go early or late.  A lot of folks vertical jig as the major structure is the pier itself.  Inland trout streams near Rochester are limited to Irondequoit Creek up in PowderMills Park, and Oatka Creek, where there is a no kill artificials only stretch in Oatka Park.  But August is the worst month of the season for trout, the major hatches are done and the water is very warm.  IF you can spare the bucks, a charter could be a very productive trip, opportunities for salmon and trout.

1 minute ago, whaler1 said:

Pier offers little that time of year. Maybe bass and sheepshead.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Wow, bummer.

Are there any worth while oppratunities from shore in tha area at that time?

How about perch or walleyes?

Can you tell me a little more about the potential for bass and sheephead please?

Large or smallmouth? I know what salt water sheephead are. Never heard of freshwater sheepehead. How does one fish for them? Would a light spinning outfit tossing leadheads and soft rubber, e.g. tubes, around hard structure be the ticket?

JD

1 hour ago, HB2 said:

Take a charter . 

2 minutes ago, Lucky13 said:

IF you can spare the bucks, a charter could be a very productive trip, opportunities for salmon and trout.

Thanks much guys!

Man I spent a lot of money this summer. To be honest money is kind of tight.

What kind of bucks woud I need to spare?

No idea as I've never done anything like this.

JD

17 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Pier offers little that time of year. Maybe bass and sheepshead.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

For a couple morning fishing in a place I've never been beofre visiting friends, I'm okay w/ bass & sheephead. I still need some guidance please.

17 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

The piers at the end of the Genesee are usually fished for smallmouth bass, perch, and drum in the summer.  But it can be brutally hot out there, so you probably want to go early or late.  A lot of folks vertical jig as the major structure is the pier itself. 

So I've resigned myself to fishing from land. 

I'm guessing a charter would cost a couple to a few hundred dollars is that correct?

Perch or walleye would be great, will there be present off the pier? If so how would I target those?

Live minnows, on a jig, dropshot, bobber?

When you say vertical jigging, I could still use some more info. Is this a round jighead w/ a tube, crayfish immitation, twistertail? Is it a dropshot scenario?

Is it snaggy or is there sigificant current from the river?

I read somewhere that sheephead get big, fisht heard and tast good, is that true?

What lb line, is 4lb undergunned? 6lb?

I greatly appreciate any & all advice, incuding resurces, and or good local take chops that might be helpful.

Thanks again ,in advance!

JD

Sam Zucco at Dreamcatcher Charters runs a 4 hr "mini" trip for $380.00.  Generally you wan to have 3 or 4 people to make a charter cost effective.

If the river is down you could walk in to Seth Green Drive off St Paul Street and fish for walleyes down there, check the Tributary regulations for hook size etc., the restrictive regulations may not kick in until later in August.  This is river fishing with a good deal of current, snags etc, but can be productive of Walleyes, Channel Cats, smallmouths, and now and then a drum.  This is the same water you would fish for Salmon in September through October and steelhead when you can get at it in the fall, winter, and spring. 

Walleyes are not common off the piers.  Bass and Drum could be dropshotted along the edge of the pier, on the lake side, tubes twisters, worm tip, etc.   People either cast close to the pier and work the lure back parallel to it, or just drop in the indentations and move the jig up and d own for a while near bottom.

54 minutes ago, Lucky13 said:

Sam Zucco at Dreamcatcher Charters runs a 4 hr "mini" trip for $380.00.  Generally you wan to have 3 or 4 people to make a charter cost effective.

If the river is down you could walk in to Seth Green Drive off St Paul Street and fish for walleyes down there, check the Tributary regulations for hook size etc., the restrictive regulations may not kick in until later in August.  This is river fishing with a good deal of current, snags etc, but can be productive of Walleyes, Channel Cats, smallmouths, and now and then a drum.  This is the same water you would fish for Salmon in September through October and steelhead when you can get at it in the fall, winter, and spring. 

Walleyes are not common off the piers.  Bass and Drum could be dropshotted along the edge of the pier, on the lake side, tubes twisters, worm tip, etc.   People either cast close to the pier and work the lure back parallel to it, or just drop in the indentations and move the jig up and d own for a while near bottom.

Thanks Brother, Lots of good info there. Greatly appreciated!

would you feel safe w/ 6lb test w/ appropriate rod (e.g Salmon / Steelhead rod) & good smooth drag?

Thanks again, now I feel like I have a place to start.

JD

The pier can be a great place take a bucket of crabs keep them up high away from the gobies and if you like to cast a jig will work lake said and river side work on different days lots of variety around my biggest drum (sheephead) is 22 lbs the fight good and if you can pattern then you can catch all day

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Oak orchard has 2 nice long Rocky piers . 1/2 he  drive west of the Genny . 

Bass and pike with panfish . 

Standard bass tackle . 7 ft med light spin 6 or 8 #  , plastics . 

Maybe a small spinnerbait . 

Soft shell crabs if you can find them . 

Key this time of year is first light or dusk . 

4 hours ago, HB2 said:

Awesome thanks.

are these native fresh water crabs? Crayfish?

do they sell them at local bait shops or does one need to catch their own?

JD

I also suggest the drive West to Oak Orchard, Point Breeze. The Orleans County Marine Park is accessible as you exit the parkway. There is a nice fishing dock at the south end of the park. deep water, fish live bait or flip plastics or cranks.

This one hit a rattle trap a few years back

1827753570_oakpikess.thumb.jpg.1271f26636b229c1d8c119cb82ba8cc9.jpg

• Like 1

49 min by map quest from downtown Rochester 

Well worth the drive . I use to fish it a lot . Go to the break wall by lake, either side but I like the west  side best .  . Water is warm and fish drop down the stream to be in cooler water . 

I haven't bought soft shells,in a very  long time but they use to be the bait of choice this,time of year . 

20 hours ago, HB2 said:

4 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

If you can drive from the mouth of the Genny to the Oak in 1/2 hour, you are definitely exceeding the speed limit.  It is about 50 miles, and not all of the parkway rides like a superhighway!

4 hours ago, J.D. said:

I also suggest the drive West to Oak Orchard, Point Breeze. The Orleans County Marine Park is accessible as you exit the parkway. There is a nice fishing dock at the south end of the park. deep water, fish live bait or flip plastics or cranks.

This one hit a rattle trap a few years back

1827753570_oakpikess.thumb.jpg.1271f26636b229c1d8c119cb82ba8cc9.jpg

3 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

Not knocking the Oak, but you said Rochester.  If you are staying in a southern suburb,  you are looking at 1-1.5 hrs travel time, each way.  If you have four hours to fish, not a lot of it is used fishing.

2 hours ago, HB2 said:

49 min by map quest from downtown Rochester 

Well worth the drive . I use to fish it a lot . Go to the break wall by lake, either side but I like the west  side best .  . Water is warm and fish drop down the stream to be in cooler water . 

I haven't bought soft shells,in a very  long time but they use to be the bait of choice this,time of year . 

Thanks gentelmen.

As much as I'd like to drive to the Oak, and by the way that's a beauty there, After the 6 plus hours drive from south easter corner of PA to visit friends in Rochester, not looking to do another drive, other than back home.

I'll stick to Rochester & Lake Ontario / Guinesee R from land. Prolly the pier.

Thanks again.

JD

P.S. By crabs, were they taling about crayfish?

Yes, you should be able to get them at Mitchell's Bait on Lake Avenue, about a long stone's throw from the Charlotte Pier.  He DOES NOT carry licenses, and unless you already have one, a NYS Non resident should be part of your gear, but the town Clerk in  any town around here should sell a license.

Just now, Lucky13 said:

Yes, you should be able to get them at Mitchell's Bait on Lake Avenue, about a long stone's throw from the Charlotte Pier.  He DOES NOT carry licenses, and unless you already have one, a NYS Non resident should be part of your gear, but the town Clerk in  any town around here should sell a license.

Thanks again! You've been so helpful.

I found that I can purchase NY fishing licenses on-line.

Steelhead and salmon are still on my bucket list, but they'll need to wait for another day.

Thanks again!

JD

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on recent landbound angling? Headed up your way tomorrow morning. Looking forward to some early morning outtings.

I'll be giving Mitchell's Bait & Tackle a call later today for sure!

Now, what gear to pack....

Thanks again everyone!

I'll post a report.

JD