Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

For salmon what size and style do you use? a stiffer blade or flex, size? brands? 

Posted (edited)

I unzipped a 23 lb king yesterday with my new Fisherman's Friend from Cutco, and I didn't even have to extend the blade; I used it at 6". It was like cutting butter. LIfetime guarantee and free sharpening. Of course, I was cutting around the bones, not through them, and I got fish market quality fillets. I would imagine that a smaller fish would be even easier. For quick and dirty chop jobs, I have a Victorinox Cimeter that will rip through bone for a one piece peel, but then you have to remove the ribs afterwards. Cutco also makes a 1762 Salmon 10" knife that I know Silver Fox loves, but the tip is rounded not pointed. It's great if you're going to fillet in one move and plan to stay above the rib cage. Probably harder to jab yourself, too. I know where there's one practically new sitting in the bottom of Sandy Creek :rofl:. Finally, I have an 8" Bubba blade that does a decent but not remarkable job. Any of these will fit the bill. They all have slightly flexible blades.

Edited by Gator

I like the idea of 1 cut and then slice the rib bones,  10 to 12" blade to get through all of fish then smaller fillet knife for ribs. Is cutco sold in rochester area?

Posted (edited)

I bought the cimeter and the straight fillet knives mentioned in the post above and have been happy with them.  Don't let the low price fool you, the cimeter is the real deal.   

Edited by VanderLaan
  • Like 1

I got the big Bubba blade and it is flexible and makes a clean and consistent cut down the backbone right through the bones. Filets come out perfect. Just might need to sharpen more often than Cutco. The big blade let’s you get a good distance per swipe before taking another pass so you aren’t sawing through with a smaller blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Another Cutco fan here.  Find a used one on Ebay and send it back to Cutco.  They usually send a brand new one back or sharpen the one you send in. 

All good info guys thanks