Yankee at the Oak 7/19-7/21 w/ some big guys!

July 19:

Awesome day with our friends from Maryland! We poked our biggest Salmon of the season thus far weighing in at 25 & 26lbs. It was a fire drill in the morning that turned into a slow pick the rest of the day. We cleaned a 5 man limit, tossed a few back, and kept a couple Lake Trout for good measure. The water we worked was a little West of the harbor. In the morning 125-175'. Later in the day 150'-250'.

Familiar Bite Atlantic Herring did most of the damaged, but we mixed in some Ballyhoo at some point in the day and that took the 26lb'r. We had meat going on our 80 & 100' Cannon Downrigger. Wires were firing out 250-275' on a 2 setting. A couple of spoons that went today were a Team Dreamweaver UV Two Face, UV Sea Sick Waddler, and a UV Glow Green Alewife. An A-Tom-Mik Mfg. UV190 behind a Seneca Special Spin Doctor on 400' of A-TOM-MIK copper produced as well.

These guys are fishing with us tomorrow, and they already have a 120qt cooler filled to the top with fillets!

July 20:

Another great day on Lake Ontario! We grabbed our biggest Salmon of the season this morning pushing the scale over 28lbs. These guys from Maryland left with another 5 man limit consisting of 1 Steelbow, 1 Coho, and 13 Chinook. By far, Familiar Bite Ballyhoo strips were our best presentation. We had it on both divers and two Downriggers. A UV Yellow Tail spoon down 45' took the big guy today, and earlier in the day a Carbon 14 Mag took a couple. One fly bite today on the 400' copper with a Team Dreamweaver Seneca Special Spin Doctor/A-Tom-Mik Mfg. UV190.

You know it's good when your charter has to visit Wally World to buy another cooler to take fillets home!

July 20 afternoon :

Kevin and his son Ty joined us from Binghamton, NY this afternoon. The action in that 200-350' was just as we left it in the morning. We had one in that 24lb range, and the rest of the Salmon were upper teens. Familiar Bite Atlantic Herring and Ballyhoo went steady on a 85' Cannon Downrigger, and 200-250' wires. Two spoon bites down 45' on a Warrior Spearmint and a Yellow Tail. One copper bite on a 300' pulling a Team Dreamweaver Chrome green edge spin doctor/A-Tom-Mik Mfg. Green Hammer fly. Back at it in the morning!

July 21:

Matthew and his family from Buffalo had their annual trip this morning. The lake was not nice, and a few of them didn't feel well, so we got them each a fish and headed for the dock. That's a wrap for a great weekend of fishing. Back at it next weekend!

IMG_20190719_073034.jpegIMG_20190719_103029.jpegIMG_20190720_105023.jpegIMG_20190720_182557.jpegIMG_20190721_070052.jpegIMG_20190719_122934.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 6

Wow.  Nice work.  Thats a nice class of fish.  Photos almost looked photoshopped there so big!  I’ve been considering goin on a charter to expand my knowledge a lilttle.  If i do i know who I’m calling.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, waterlogged said:

Nice job Rick.  You are one of the most consistent charters out there Imho.

13 hours ago, PD Buoy said:

X-2,plus Rick is a very humble guy.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.

• Like 1

Nice fish.I had confidence in my meat program earlier in the year,not so much in the last few weeks.Was wondering what kind of paddles you'r running.My spinn Drs are going to have some Okis mixed in with them this weekend.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Houndog said:

Nice fish.I had confidence in my meat program earlier in the year,not so much in the last few weeks.Was wondering what kind of paddles you'r running.My spinn Drs are going to have some Okis mixed in with them this weekend.

11" E-Chips have been really good for us as of late. Green chip w/ glow and waffle tape, and UV chrome 2 face.

I'm curious how often you have caught big boys on spoons up higher, such as the one you caught on UV Yellowtail 45down. I have had 2 big ones, #30&32lb.mid day hit slider spoons up high while those spoons were targeting Steels. I also had another 29lner hit a diver on deployment at 45ft out. All mid day while targeting temperature much deeper. Sometimes it makes me wonder if they learned an easy meal might trail behind the prop wash from big ships.

26 minutes ago, buckboardjr said:

I'm curious how often you have caught big boys on spoons up higher, such as the one you caught on UV Yellowtail 45down. I have had 2 big ones, #30&32lb.mid day hit slider spoons up high while those spoons were targeting Steels. I also had another 29lner hit a diver on deployment at 45ft out. All mid day while targeting temperature much deeper. Sometimes it makes me wonder if they learned an easy meal might trail behind the prop wash from big ships.

I don't keep track of that stuff, but definitely taken some nice fish higher in the water column. That being said that spoon was tracking in sub 60* water which isn't "out of temp" for a Salmon. In a few more weeks it wont be uncommon to catch matures feeding in 70* water.

1 hour ago, dickey said:

Where can you buy meat locally in Rochester? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Southbay Boat and Tackle and Mitchel's Bait and Tackle have both advertised it.

20 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

I don't keep track of that stuff, but definitely taken some nice fish higher in the water column. That being said that spoon was tracking in sub 60* water which isn't "out of temp" for a Salmon. In a few more weeks it wont be uncommon to catch matures feeding in 70* water.

Thanks for the reply and for the advise you provide for many fisherman. Will be traveling your way tomorrow to start my 9 day fish/camp trip. Good luck on on all your upcoming trips!

• Like 1