Canandaigua vs Keuka

Gave it a shot yesterday only fished about 5 hours couldn’t find any solid schools of lakers did try for about 2.5-3 hrs didn’t get anything did miss one. Switched to bass fishing caught some largies and one slob smallie 19 3/4in!!! If anyone has any tips on jigging Lakers on Keuka I would appreciate it would like to give it a go this time and dedicate my whole day to it!!! I went in cold this time it was a last minute decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Dipsy you can try you long leaders from the dipsy to the bait i use swedish pimple in white for jigging  what part were you fishing penn yan branchport or main lake branchport side is usually better and less boat traffic helps also

Canandaigua is way too busy with recreational boating right now making it difficult if not impossible to fish productively after 9 or 10 AM. Jigging for lakers is the best way to go on Keuka and as mentioned the Branchport or Hammondsport sections are a little less crowded with the recreational boaters. It is mainly a matter of locating fish in deeper water (e.g. 80 ft or deeper as smallies suspend out there up to about that deep this time of the season) that look like lakers and either drift over them or anchor up just outside them at the edge and vertical jig with 1-2 oz. jigs with shad imitations or white tubes and other related things like Kastmasters. I think a lot of the specific techniques have been previously mentioned on here so you may want to search for that info.

Edited by Sk8man

Keyuka for a lot of fish but few over 24 inches.  They are a lot healthier than the ones last year and the two years before that.  There are a lot of fish there, most every where over 70 feet and it seems the best depth is 120ish.  I can't believe that you had trouble.  We have fished at the state park and the bluffs.  It is hard to find an area without fish.  Friends fish iwth bait minnows from the small shop (607-794-2053) on the east side and they do better than we do, but I like jigging.  Monday we got a limit in three hours and kept the ones over 20 inches.........jk  Ps lakers only, no other trout fish are there it seems