Fished out of Fairhaven this morning. Started out rough with 4 footers but eventually smoothed out. Very slow.  Went 1 for 3. 1 king in the mid teens on a stud fly. Other 2 hits were on meat but didn’t stick. Not a lot marks on the sonar. Fished from 135’ out to 200. Strong current coming from the west. Temp was 52 degrees down 85’.  Anybody else out in Fairhaven?/ 

• Like 1

Ok, here it is.  It is finally time to venture beyond my kayaks limits and take the new boat off-shore tomorrow.  Would anybody like to offer any advice on a starting point as far as depth and about how far from the chute it is?  Being my first time beyond 1/2 mile out I don’t want to get too far away from my starting point.  Planning to run 2 downriggers stacked with 200’ max of cable and 1 Dipsy Rod in my 19’ CC.  Any advice would help greatly, thanks

Hopefully someone can give you some more relevant advice but I was out of Oswego on Tuesday. Think I went 8/12. 135-270fow was best. Almost exclusively a meat bite. Had my deep rigger with meat out 80.

I fish alone most of the time and run a deep rigger with meat or an MC Rocket, higher rigger with a spoon and a slider and a dipsy with a flasher fly. I feel like that covers the most options I can with 3 rods (deep meat, deep spoon, shallow spoon and ff in the middle). And some days only one thing goes so I wouldn't want to commit to just spoons or ff until I see what they want.

Good luck!

I don’t have a fishhawk yet, most likely next year.  This year I’m still building my trolling outfits and tackle selection.  Most of my flashers are green/ glow or Mountain Dew/ glow.  I’ll have to pick up a meat rig at the shop on my way

I don’t think no temp will hurt you but no down speed is tough. Pay attention to blow back and your dipsy rod bend to dial in your speed. With the current your speed at the lure will often be totally different than your SOG and it’s real important to get right.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I finally got the new boat out on Lake Ontario. I never fished Fairhaven before but decided to try because of Harbor fest . I got schooled today. Have not been skunked in years on the old boat . Yes I threw everything I had at them other than cut bait because I did not have that. I did get a late start and apparently was fishing out in to deep of water. I guess you win some and lose some. I took one hit on the rigger and 1 rip on a dipsy nobody home. Apparently early action was in 160 to 180

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Don’t feel bad, in did the same out there. Went out to 180-200 and marked 2 loners over 183.  Moved in and eventually marked more frequent loners 52 feet down over 110’.  Lost one small one that took the deep FF on the rigger and that was it over 4 hours of fishing 5 rods.  Beautiful day to be on the lake though, calm as could be

Another thing is the blow back with my 10# weights was ridiculous no matter what direction we ran.  Even the side with only 2 spoons running and no flashers.  No idea what depth my lures were at.  

I believe I seen you today. You were launching your boat as I was pulling mine. If you have Green Hornet on the side of your boat and you were launching around 1pm. I should have introduced myself as I have seen your posts of on here a few times

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Can you see your riggers on your fish finder ? Keep them in / below bait fish . I fished no fish hawk for years .

With no speed make sure you are turning a lot and changing direction a lot . Don't be afraid to troll straight into the waves . Drag a bucket or two to slow down . See my post in tackle tech section . 

Generally speaking , slow down going with the waves , speed up going into it . Watch cable angle . 

I run 10# weights and have been forever so that's not your problem . 

Have a rod with a spoon ready to check your speed boat side to at least check . 

A hand held GPS will be at least some references. Note  direction of boat upon the hit 

My best rig as of late,has,been an 11" 

White flasher . 25 to 35 ft leads . 

Black / silver  green glow or  glow frog mags are my go to. 

Edited by HB2

No my weights were not registering on the finder even when I am down to 2.4.  I was feeling like we were always going faster than the gps speed on the screen.  I think I will bump up the sensitivity on the finder and like you said, run a spoon boatside to see how it’s running.  I have buckets on board I use for walleye trolling and maybe should be using them all the time.

No my weights were not registering on the finder even when I am down to 2.4.  I was feeling like we were always going faster than the gps speed on the screen.  I think I will bump up the sensitivity on the finder and like you said, run a spoon boatside to see how it’s running.  I have buckets on board I use for walleye trolling and maybe should be using them all the time.
You can check the surface speed all you want with a spoon but 100 feet down, you could be doing 1.5 difference compared to the top with all the current going on. Temp hasn't mattered for me much but speed changes every direction.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app